my haynes manual ?

RamboRedRex

my haynes manual is saying that most models after 89 (I think) have auto locking hubs. right now my front hub bearings are exposed through the centercap of my HIGH DOLLAR american racing wheels O_o. anyway i first thought that they were manual locking and were missing the locking key set up on the hubs buttttt after reading that i have been playing around in 2wd and able to do some sweet burn outs in the dirt and when i put it in 4wd im not able to. anyway can someone explain how these suposed suto locking hubs work. im going o rebuild them because no telling how long they have been exposed to the weather. ill post pictures soon.

short and sweet

how do auto hubs work

are all 90s model XE's autolocking

Even the early models had auto locking hubs.

Your bearings are exposed? If so, something is missing and they won't last long! Please take a picture of it and post it for us.

Also, go to the Garage section, in the pinned Factory Service Manual thread and download your copy, 1994 is the earliest but it will be the same for this. Go into the IDX file and look up Front Axle section; in there will be an expanded view of the hub assemblies.

B

Please tell me that this is a joke...

Yep, the (auto) locking hubs have been removed, you could not use 4WD right now if you life depended on it. And more importantly, with it exposed like that you are getting contaminates in there and will end up having to replace the bearings, at the minimum. I can't even tell for sure if the locking ring is still there, if it is not then your axle is able to move in and out in a way that it should not.

How long has it been like this or at least how long has it been driven like this? First park it, then look in the Parts for Sale section and see if anyone has some hubs you can buy, hit local wrecking yards, order some Warn, MileMarker, etc manual hubs... just get it back together again before more damage is done.

While your at it, replace the bearings.

WTF!?!

I'd say someone stole your hubs!! P...

Exactly as Red said, but the clip is there, just not seated properly on one side. Yes, if it has been like that for a long time, replace the bearings, but if not, I would just remove the outer bearings and clean/repack them. IIRC there is someone advertising in the free section, looking to give away a set of the auto locking hubs, I'd start there...

B

Sorry they have been taken, so junk yard or put a post in Parts Wanted section...

Edited by Precise1

Well I feel safe now, I bought the little devil like this a few months ago and have been driving it like this. I will do what I can to get the missing @!*% in there. Can someone post picture of what it should look like without your dust cap please

Well I feel safe now, I bought the little devil like this a few months ago and have been driving it like this. I will do what I can to get the missing @!*% in there. Can someone post picture of what it should look like without your dust cap please

It looks to me like everything is there as it should be, just with the hubs removed. You can go for the stock automatic hubs (which are convenient but not as robust) or manual locking hubs from Mile Marker or Warn (which are more robust, but not as convenient). http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-Differentials/Mile-Marker-Supreme-Manual-Hub.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=6075&t_pn=MIL435

Did you download the FSM and look at the views?

Are you mechanically inclined? The work isn't hard, but there is a little experience needed. I'm guessing that you need to pull the rotor off, clean everything well and should probably replace the outer bearings at least. Have you ever worked on wheel bearings?

And where did you buy the vehicle from with those missing?

B

It looks to me like everything is there as it should be, just with the hubs removed. You can go for the stock automatic hubs (which are convenient but not as robust) or manual locking hubs from Mile Marker or Warn (which are more robust, but not as convenient). http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-Differentials/Mile-Marker-Supreme-Manual-Hub.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=6075&t_pn=MIL435

Did you download the FSM and look at the views?

Are you mechanically inclined? The work isn't hard, but there is a little experience needed. I'm guessing that you need to pull the rotor off, clean everything well and should probably replace the outer bearings at least. Have you ever worked on wheel bearings?

And where did you buy the vehicle from with those missing?

B

Ya I got it from a buy here pay here place and if I had paid enough attention to it I would have taken it back in the small warranty time frame they gve me but it's to late for that.

Yes I am mechanically inclined, I'm a Marine Diesel Mechanic in the CG so I can tinker on saturdays with the best of them. I gota change a cv boot on the driver side anyway so I'll just be pulling everything off both sides and inspect and replace. I also gota change the pilot bearing and slave cylinder at some point, as well as replace manifold gaskets and studs. It's a list but I bought it as a beater and something to get more exp as far as land vehicles instead of ships

I'd still go back there and give them an ear full. It's not like anything broke, it is missing major components!

Ok, you can handle this easy then. Get some hubs, go through the FSM, deal with the bearings and preloading them, and isntall the hubs.

Just for kicks, you might want to take a moment and jack up each wheel to see if it feels loose, crunchy or what. It might give you a heads up on what to expect or not to drive it...

B

I'd still go back there and give them an ear full. It's not like anything broke, it is missing major components!

Ok, you can handle this easy then. Get some hubs, go through the FSM, deal with the bearings and preloading them, and isntall the hubs.

Just for kicks, you might want to take a moment and jack up each wheel to see if it feels loose, crunchy or what. It might give you a heads up on what to expect or not to drive it...

B

I can smell what you're cooking, i was planning on replaceing the wheel bearings anyway i plan on going through everything