2000 pathfinder shreiking noise after timing belt

Jacksonbase

Just finished up timing belt on 2000 pathfinder I set marks and counted the 40 and 43 between cam and crank checked 3 times. reinstalled all new belts( 4 )including timing belt. put back together. cranked right up no knocking but I get a horrble sheiking noise

I followed tension specs on timing belt and just tightened ps alt and ac belts

I canted tell where noise is coming from

Can I run engine with all belts removed? (not timing) Maybe then I can isolate noise ant thougths?

thx

Yes, make sure the engine is cold before you remove the water pump belt though and don't turn the steering wheel with the pump belt off. Hopefully the timing belt tensioner is in good shape?

Recently replaced the accessory drive belts and tensioner/idler pulleys on my '01, tightened to well within specs and had the same issue. I had to tighten the belts up a bit more, then do it again after a few days of driving (due to new belts stretching). That's more than likely your issue.

I imagine it is the same as on my wd21 or did they go serpentine in the r50? you have to loosen the nut in the center of the adjuster pully, then loosen the tensioner and the belt should loosen. BTW that bearing tends to go bad often. I have been through 3 of them so far.

Edited by msavides
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got down to noise. Started taking belts off wasn't a/c. noise stopped at alt belt. I felt sure it was pully or alt. Replaced both. Noise was still there. I just started tightning belt more and more noise went away. I can't beleive I didn't check belt first but I didn't want to overtighten and it seemed very tight. After 2 weeks I plan on checking belts again. Thanks all.

ps

Timing belt change was a PITA but very do-able.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got down to noise. Started taking belts off wasn't a/c. noise stopped at alt belt. I felt sure it was pully or alt. Replaced both. Noise was still there. I just started tightning belt more and more noise went away. I can't beleive I didn't check belt first but I didn't want to overtighten and it seemed very tight. After 2 weeks I plan on checking belts again. Thanks all.

ps

Timing belt change was a PITA but very do-able.

Old or glazed belts can slip even when at proper tension, so don't feel bad. But yes, always check the belt first, it is the easiest. One trick is to rub some soap on it, and if the noise temporarily stops or quiets, the belt is the problem... ;)

B