Bull Bar install

enkrypt3d

Those are sweet items! I can't recall, what is the power draw?

B

I dont think its much as it can run on the 12v cig lighter in the car and it has battery protection to shut off before it drains the battery...

10690351_10152758670457853_1346845241762

Got the winch mounted up. I just need to wire up the controller now and lights... cant decide on where to mount the dually LED lights?

Looks good!! Move the lights to the roof?!

Damn that's a TIGHT garage!!! I take it you must be really skinny lol

Are those the ones that fit the holes in the front? If so then mount them there and connect the winch hook to the d-ring.

The hook isn't big enough to fit around the shackles unfortunately... and these are the lights I got:

http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/20211

Sucks that they only come with one bracket. And the optional brackets are half the price of the lights themselves!

Looks good!! Move the lights to the roof?!

Damn that's a TIGHT garage!!! I take it you must be really skinny lol

Haha not that skinny! 6'4" 200 lbs ... the pic makes it look tighter than it is.... the "perks" of living in LA.

hmm, well do they "fit" the holes? If you put a mounting bracket or such in?

Get a shackle to attach that hook to the ring ;) You should already have some or at least have a couple on your shopping list to fill a recovery gear kit :aok:

hmm, well do they "fit" the holes? If you put a mounting bracket or such in?

Get a shackle to attach that hook to the ring ;) You should already have some or at least have a couple on your shopping list to fill a recovery gear kit :aok:

The clear parts of the lights line up but I'd have to drill holes in the bumper for the mounting bracket either way unless I mount them to the middle bar hanging down.... and yea I need a recovery kit! haha it never ends does it? lol :D

Trying to figure out how I'd attach a snatch strap to the front bull bar... the D shackles are not removable so I guess I'd have to do something like this?

Or should I buy some more D shackles?

For mounting the lights I guess I'll get them mounted under the middle bar...

Edited by enkrypt3d

Well considering that two of them hang from the front of my ARB.. I'd say the bumper :D

But I would not be afraid the use a shackle to connect a strap to the hard mounted D-Ring if it was setup like yours.

Just make sure you buy shackles rated higher than the work your doing, an important thing to remember is that your recovery "system" is only as strong as its weakest link.

ie, you may have a 10,000 pound winch, 20,000 pound straps and a 30,000 pound tree strap, but when you connect them to 7500 pound couplers (shackles/d-rings), your system is only rated at 7500lbs :togo:

Something that needs to be considered even more when tossing a snatch block in the mix!

Trying to figure out how I'd attach a snatch strap to the front bull bar... the D shackles are not removable so I guess I'd have to do something like this?

Or should I buy some more D shackles?

For mounting the lights I guess I'll get them mounted under the middle bar...

Put the strap through your D ring, use a D shackle through the end loop and then around the strap after the D ring. Can't come loose and go flying and the majority of the load is on the D ring. Easy win. ;)

I'd say there is a reason that guy has an eye patch...

B

But I would not be afraid the use a shackle to connect a strap to the hard mounted D-Ring if it was setup like yours.

Keep in mind that I say that having never had the solid d rings on any of my vehicles, since I don't use them perhaps it would be best to hear from those who do ;)

I have seen a lot of people use the loop a strap around a recovery point and through itself thing (as in the video) all the time, but it seems to me that the most, if not all strap makers tell you not to do this, citing that it effectively reduces the capacity of the strap. To me (again NOT in the position) it seems preferable to use a shackle to connect the two by opening the shackle, sliding it through strap loop and d-ring, replace pin. Now here is where people differ, some say the strap goes against the pin while others say it should be in the middle of the loop, but one things is for sure, you should never pull from the sides of the loop. Oh and many will suggest that you tighten the pin all they way and then back it off 1/4in to help limit it's chances of over tightening.

As for the branch (carry 1.5-2in dowel if you're going to use this method) is there to prevent the strap from crunching down on itself. This helps to prevent two things, one it damaging and breaking itself and assuming it does not break, it makes it much easier to separate since it will never tighten up so much on itself that it cannot be undone.

Oh and here's something to read regarding the ratings of your recovery gear http://arbusa.com/Getting-Started/Road-to-Recovery.aspx it's an independently written article, reposted on a manufactures webpage... obviously praising their products

*but in my experience ARB products are worthy the praise :aok:

1st off Never loop snatch straps through themselves if you can help it, just like tying knots it creates a weak point, potentially halving (or worse) the strength of the strap. Get rated shackles and the best way to use them with the hard mounted D rings and a strap is ring to ring with the strap on the pin, this spreads the load across the length of the pin, this prevents the shackle twisting and putting all the load on 1 corner of the pin (same as snatching at high offset angles) causing catastrophic failure (yes I've seen it happen)

Another option (best n my opinion) would be to use shackles on both D rings to connect an equalizer strap between them then a snatch strap through the equalizer strap, this spreads the load out even more and causes less stress to the bar/D rings/shackles etc.

Edited by Craig1902

And there you go, someone confirming my opinions about both (NOT looping a strap back on itself & using a shackle to connect the strap to a d-ring) :beer:

I also like the idea of and equalizing strap. Anytime to you can effectively spread recovery forces over a larger area/multiple points, it is a good thing. :aok: