Rear drivers side tire wobbles while turning

troutfinder

Hi all, sort of new here. Have a few questions i hope someone can offer knowledgeable advice. As topic says i have a wobble when turning at low speeds (like backing up etc.) I believe only drivers rear tire. I have spent some time trying to look up what it could be on these forums before asking but cant see anything. What exactly causes this?...Remedies? Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has been beaten to death already. Cheers

Huh... a wobble that only happens at low speeds? And no shudder/death wobble at high speed? (And the wheel is bolted on properly?)

Check if your rear axle says "LSD oil only" on it (orange sticker on the back). Ever replaced that oil? An LSD with non-LSD oil in it will bind/shudder, which would cause the tires to skid and drag a little on sharp low speed turns... that's all I can think of that you wouldn't feel at high speed too.

Edited by Slartibartfast

Check the bottle if you still have it (or if you recognize it at the parts store). From what I've read, a lot of oils say "LSD compatible" to signify that it's compatible with LSD additive, not that it already has the stuff in it. If it actually has additive in it, it'll probably say something about that on the label ("additive not required" or something).

Since I see you live in alberta you probably have a crappy tire near by. I changed my gear oil with some motomaster 80w90 and added a tube of CRC posi-trac for the LSD. Works great for me and doesn't cost that much. I actually had water in the rear end and noticed the LSD starting to act up.

Well, nothing should cause a rear wheel to wobble if all is well, and it could be dangerous to drive on. I highly recommend you loosen the lug nuts, jack up the rear axle and remove the tire/drum and inspect things (or take it to someone who will).

B

I'm with Precise1 on this one. There is nothing that should let a tire wobble and still move forward with everything tightnted to specifications. If it does then the list of things that would allow it to do that is short: tire is coming off of the rim, the axle is broken, the axle is broken and there is no rear brake carrier / pads / caliper.... I think that's about it.

Edited by SpecialWarr

• 2 weeks later...

I changed diff. oil and added the CRC aditive as well......axle looks fine, changed seals, repacked bearing and replaced caliper and pads. Just waiting for help to bleed brakes and will let you all know how it drives when all is done. Cheers, and thanks for replies!