New nissan 1999 pathy... good car?

Hello,I just purchased a 1999 nissan pathfinder. What are some of the dead give aways that it is a good car or a bad car. There is very little rust, pretty clean, but has about 200'000 miles on it. It doesnt seem to be leaking oil now, may have in the past. Drove it home, seem to have plenty of power, no strange noises, have been driving it up and down dirt roads with ease.

Is there any dead give away it might have serious problems anytime soon, or that it may be a lemon?

Make sure you know when the timing belt was done last, and if you don't know, do it or have it done. A timing belt run too far past its change interval can fail and bend the valves. Good to check/change fluids if that hasn't been done. Tranny fluid (assuming auto trans) should be red, dark/burned/gritty fluid would mean tranny problems. Oil leaks aren't uncommon, could just be the valve cover gaskets. Take a look around the front strut towers for rust (not likely a problem in California).

It should be a pretty solid rig, but as with anything that's got 200k on the clock, keep an eye on it and expect to fix a few things.

• Like 1

x3 on the timing belt, with 105k mile intervals, it will be due at 210k (might be part of why it was sold).

Otherwise, like was said, change the fluids and as long as there is no major rust, you should be good. Again, 200k miles isn't end of life by a long shot...

B

• Like 1

Thanks again for all the great info! I am not sure when the timing belt was last replaced and definitely plan to have that done! Glad U all think it should be a good rig! It is fun to drive!

I've got about 360,000 km's on mine, but since I got it its become apparent that the previous owner did very little maintenance. So give yours a good going over. Belts and plugs, struts and shocks, filters and light bulbs, etc..

• Like 1