Time for new wheels and tires

I don't like starting new threads about things that have already been asked countless times, but I've searched through tons of threads about this and I have a pretty good idea now, but I still have a few specific questions to work out.

According to the sticker in the glovebox, my Pathfinder came with 265/70r15 tires. At some point, one of the PO's downsized to 235/75r15 tires. I'd like to get back up to a bigger size, and I've been debating between the original size and 31's.
She is also riding on the god-awful factory steel wheels that are getting rusty, and I've pretty well decided on some 15x8 black steel wheels (I also looked for some SE alloys but they are hard to find and the ones I've found have been in rough shape).

Unfortunately my Pathfinder doesn't have the rear spare tire carrier, so what I really want to know definitively is if a 15x8 wheel (regardless of tire) will even fit underneath the back of the truck. And if it will, will a 265/70r15 tire fit? How about a 31x10.5r15? I'm really not interested in going to the trouble of finding a new spot for the tire. Does anyone know definitively if a 31 will fit under the rear or not?

Now that that is out of the way, I'm trying to decide between a 3.75" backspace vs a 4" backspace. From what I gather, with either of the tire sizes I'm considering, 3.75 will make the tires stick out slightly past the fender flares, whereas 4 may be pretty well flush with the flares. I'd rather they not stick out, but does the 3.75 backspacing significantly reduce the chance of rubbing at full lock? I'd rather have them stick out than rub severely.

On a side note, the speedo currently reads a bit fast on the current tires. I've done the math, and the difference from the correct speed is greater than the difference between current tires and factory tires, so I assume that means it will still read fast with 265/70r15's... Would it be more accurate with the 31's?

Thanks for the clarification :blush:

265/70r15 tires should read correctly on the speedo if it came with them stock , if wider wheels change the circumference I suspect the difference would be minimal .

235/75r15 tires would make your speedo run a little low like you say .

Mine came stock with 235/75r15 tires , I put 31's on the stock steel wheels and had a little rubbing at full lock but not too bad .

My speedo ran slower with the 31's .

I've since gone to 32's with the AC lift and 3.75" wheels and they do stick out , I'd think 31's on 4" wheels would come pretty even with the flares .

Probably minimize rubbing too .

I can't offer anything on the 8" wheel fitting the spare tire well .

Might want to talk this person into shipping then freight, strapped to a pallet or something...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/38391-98-nissan-pathfinder-se-oem-alloy-rims-for-sale-picture/

if a 15x8 wheel (regardless of tire) will even fit underneath the back of the truck. And if it will, will a 265/70r15 tire fit? How about a 31x10.5r15? I'm really not interested in going to the trouble of finding a new spot for the tire. Does anyone know definitively if a 31 will fit under the rear or not?

A 256/70/15 will fit, even with an aftermarket trailer hitch receiver; a 31" might not with my set up, it would be very close. If I get bored, I'll try a test fit for you...

031.jpg

3.75" backspace vs a 4" backspace. From what I gather, with either of the tire sizes I'm considering, 3.75 will make the tires stick out slightly past the fender flares, whereas 4 may be pretty well flush with the flares. I'd rather they not stick out, but does the 3.75 backspacing significantly reduce the chance of rubbing at full lock?

I test fit some 31" tires on what I believe are 7" wide, 4" backspacing Cragar Soft 8 rims like these. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-3975760

Here is a comparison of stock sized 265/70/15 on factory alloys and 10.5x31" on the steelies.

103-Copy-Copy_zpsf863f7c3.jpg

105-Copy_zps00e674a1.jpg

109-Copy_zpsd7f649cc.jpg

110-Copy-Copy_zpsd1fa6062.jpg

The only rubbing I had was in reverse at full lock, and even that was mild and our R50 has saggy diapers stock suspension.

I assume that means it will still read fast with 265/70r15's... Would it be more accurate with the 31's?

I can't really answer that as I have no idea what amount you are talking of or if you even did the math right. ;)

235/75/15 are basically 29" tires, 265/70/15 are 30" and 31" tires are obvious. There should be about 3.5% difference between each size, but manufacturers sizes vary considerably, and then throwing in tire wear... this is no exact science.

B

Thanks for the replies!

Now I'm just wondering... You both say you had a little bit of rubbing at full lock, with 31's anyway... Do you know which steering racks you have? From what I gather, the SE racks don't turn quite as sharply, for the bigger stock tires...
I'm not even 100% sure on mine. I have the bigger tires from the factory, 4.636 gears, and LSD, but I could swear there was a little more than 3 turns lock to lock when I checked. I'll have to check again. If the Chilkoot is a dealer installed package, could it possibly have the factory XE steering rack?

And as far as the speedo math... The last time I looked with a gps, I see to remember it running about 5 or maybe 6 percent fast. Doesn't bother me much around town, but cruising down the highway it makes for a pretty big difference.
It could be 3 or 4 percent, but I seem to recall the speedo saying 105 or 106 km/h while my true speed was 100.

Sounds like I should maybe go for a 4" backspace rather than 3.75" so the tires stay within the flares.

Might want to talk this person into shipping then freight, strapped to a pallet or something...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/38391-98-nissan-pathfinder-se-oem-alloy-rims-for-sale-picture/

Those look to be in really nice shape :)

But from past experience, shipping fairly heavy/bulky things like wheels from California up to BC can be heinously expensive.

I might just keep my eyes open in the local classifieds.

When I had my R50, I had 31's on the stock alloys (SE) and they fit under the rear no problem, but I also didn't have a receiver.

Also, didn't know there was a difference in steering racks...

Jose

While pricing parts once on Rockauto , I saw two steering racks for R50's .

One is for trucks "without flares" and one for trucks "with flares" , the latter being a good bit more expensive .

Left me scratching my head and thinking "I'll figure that one out when I need a steering rack"...

Correct, I saw the same thing today. ACDelco reman for roughly $200 w/o, $250 with...

Good call.

You both say you had a little bit of rubbing at full lock, with 31's anyway... Do you know which steering racks you have?

From what I gather, the SE racks don't turn quite as sharply, for the bigger stock tires...

I'm not even 100% sure on mine. I have the bigger tires from the factory, 4.636 gears, and LSD, but I could swear there was a little more than 3 turns lock to lock when I checked. I'll have to check again. If the Chilkoot is a dealer installed package, could it possibly have the factory XE steering rack?

And as far as the speedo math... The last time I looked with a gps, I see to remember it running about 5 or maybe 6 percent fast. Doesn't bother me much around town, but cruising down the highway it makes for a pretty big difference.
It could be 3 or 4 percent, but I seem to recall the speedo saying 105 or 106 km/h while my true speed was 100.

Sounds like I should maybe go for a 4" backspace rather than 3.75" so the tires stay within the flares.

Only at full lock in reverse and that was on the inner wheel well plastic to the rear, and with a saggy suspension. Ours is the factory SE rack AFAIK, we bought it with 150k miles.

As above, it seems to be more about the fender flares. Do you have them?

I don't know what the Chilkoot is based off of, XE or SE. I'm sure Alkorahil in the Classifieds/Services section could answer that in a heart beat (he runs an online parts department and knows his stuff).

One of the reasons cops/courts give sme latitude is because speedometers often have significant deviation from reality. From what you say, mounting 30" or 31" tires would make you within -2/+2 percent respectively, and that is more than can be expected.

It is only 1/4" and 265/70/15 are almost as wide as 10.5x31" tires so it shouldn't be that critical. Your suspension height is probably the limiting factor...

B

I don't know what the Chilkoot is based off of, XE or SE. I'm sure Alkorahil in the Classifieds/Services section could answer that in a heart beat (he runs an online parts department and knows his stuff).

The Chilkoot was an XE grade R50 with extra special package items:

• compass
  • numbered special edition plague
  • alloy step rails/nerf bars
  • special package floor mats
  • special instrument cluster
  • special package body graphics
  • I also show some Chilkoot versions came with block heaters. (I guess Canadians need things like this)

From the factory the XE and LE grade R50 had 7.5 inches of ground clearance and P235/70/15 tires while the SE and Chilkoot had 8.3 inches clearance with P265/70/15 tires. So says the vehicle specs.

I do not know for a 100% fact on the Chilkoot, but usually when these special packages have been done in the past by nissan they were done to boost sales. They were sublet out to third party companies by Nissan for the upgrade work. Thus why the special parts are not available from Nissan and do not show up in the Nissan parts cataloge.

As a side note, that is how you can tell on nissans from this era. Vehicles built SE or LE have sunroofs. XE and E grade do not.

For example, the 'Sport Package' XE Pathfiinder has everything a SE WD21 has, less the sunroof and adjustable shocks.

i'm confused. i'm currently running 235/75/15 on my pathfinder and i have thought about going larger. These are the LE wheels 6.5 wide. I don't know the backspace.

would i be able to throw on 265/70/15 on them?

i'm confused. i'm currently running 235/75/15 on my pathfinder and i have thought about going larger. These are the LE wheels 6.5 wide. I don't know the backspace.

would i be able to throw on 265/70/15 on them?

I'm pretty sure 6.5 is a little narrow for 265's... Although it'll probably work, as the steel chilkoot wheels are also 6.5 wide. Tire rack shows the rim width range for 265/70r15's to be 7 to 9 inches. Go figure....

I think the backspacing is probably more important, and I bet someone here will know what it is for the LE wheels.

I put 50,000 miles on a set of 31's mounted on stock 6.5" steel rims , it's at the low end of recommended wheel width but it drove fine .

OEM tires were 235/70 General Grabbers ,

I went out and looked at my rims and they are the 15x7JJ Aluminum that i put the 30/9.5R15's on. My spare under the Pathfinder is a 265/70R15. So now i am confused...My glove box placard says 265/70R15 but the owners book tire specs says my 4x2 LE should have 235/70R15 on 15x6.5JJ Aluminum and the XE model has the same on 15x6.5JJ steel rims...So were my rims changed by a previous owner? My spare tire rim does look different in appearance. I'm guessing they came off a SE 4x4 model. But it's the placard in the glove box that gets me, unless they changed that out too, but who does that...lol

In the end that is why those tires fit on my LE

Edited by Leo98

I put 50,000 miles on a set of 31's mounted on stock 6.5" steel rims , it's at the low end of recommended wheel width but it drove fine .

OEM tires were 235/70 General Grabbers ,

This.

The stock 'chromie' rims for the WD21 are 6" wide and many people have run 10.5x31" tires on them, including myself, courtesy of the PO. Personally I thought they were a little pinched, but they fit and ran acceptably well.

265mm=10.43" so it is the same situation, but your rims are .5" wider... It might not be ideal, but it will work just fine.

Don't go by what the manual/plaques say unless you bought new, go by what is on the vehicle... ;)

B

I went out and looked at my rims and they are the 15x7JJ Aluminum that i put the 30/9.5R15's on. My spare under the Pathfinder is a 265/70R15. So now i am confused...My glove box placard says 265/70R15 but the owners book tire specs says my 4x2 LE should have 235/70R15 on 15x6.5JJ Aluminum and the XE model has the same on 15x6.5JJ steel rims...So were my rims changed by a previous owner? My spare tire rim does look different in appearance. I'm guessing they came off a SE 4x4 model. But it's the placard in the glove box that gets me, unless they changed that out too, but who does that...lol

In the end that is why those tires fit on my LE

Hey Leo, thanks for getting back to me on that. If that's the case, I will be floored if I can throw 30/9.5r15 on my rims even though it's pushing the maximum the rims can carry because the rims really grow on me.

http://www.originalwheels.com/nissan-wheels/images/nissan-pathfinder-wheels-62343.jpg

are these what you're rolling with?

A 256/70/15 will fit, even with an aftermarket trailer hitch receiver; a 31" might not with my set up, it would be very close. If I get bored, I'll try a test fit for you...

If you ever get the chance to do that, let me know! Not knowing for sure if it fits in the spare tire spot is the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger on a set of 31's. Looks a lot more mean than the factory size, and there's a much better selection of tires.

I suppose it does help that I don't have a hitch, but I was considering getting one.

• 1 month later...

Ok. So I've pretty well decided on the style of wheels I'd like to get.
I'm hoping these will fit. http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-84-5883/overview/

Now this may seem like a dumb question. But do I need to order anything else to go with the wheels to run them? Aside from tires obviously...

Spacers? Hub rings? I've never ordered aftermarket wheels so I have no idea...

Do I NEED center caps? Or will it work without them? I was planning on getting manual hubs for the front, and I don't really care whether the back has center caps or not, appearance wise.

If you R50 came equipped with 265/70 r15 you are not going to have any issue with the 31X10,5 r15.

Now if your R50 Came with 235 tires (XE and LE) then you may have some rubbing when turning.

I don't understand. The only difference between the trims in the wheels was the diameter, width and I believe backspace but not sure on that. If it is, that's likely the issue.

The wheel well shouldn't be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand. The only difference between the trims in the wheels was the diameter, width and I believe backspace but not sure on that. If it is, that's likely the issue.

The wheel well shouldn't be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a difference in ratio, it was explained somewhere why there was rubbing with the XE and LE while the SE was

OK with the 31x10.5 SE TRIM.