1st Pick and Pull trip...what to look for? and when to stop?

bushnut

So today was my first time at a JY. I found a Right Front fender and turn signal lights as mine is rusted out and my turn signals flop around. I've installed the signals and they work great. and just started prepping the fender for paint.

next on the list are some Lower control arms (front) and sway bar end links. and maybe the rear control arms as well.

what I'm asking is, while I'm there should I grab things like relays, tension pully, hubs? where do I stop?

there are a couple of vehicles that are just begging to be stripped of anything usable.

Could I become a Junk Yard addict?

I find making a list of needed/wanted things to be helpful.

That said, pick up every decent nut/bolt/washer you see and pocket them. You also want to get some relays, fuse blocks, fuseable links and that type of 1 use electronic crap from under the hood and under the dash. It might keep you on the road, or just make troubleshooting a lot easier. ;)

Idler pullly isn't a bad idea but you don't have hubs, just drive flanges. Spare belts/hoses if they look fresh...

A spare dizzy/coil might not be a bad idea, headlight bulbs (bring gloves/baggie-don't touch them), all other bulbs in general. Temp sensors, MAF, TPS, etc... Get the stuff that counts.

I have a tendency to keep spares of every major running component, I am only lacking an ECU and Dizzy ATM. Trim and such I don't worry so much about, as I can drive with a broken arm rest, but not with a broken TPS.

I don't know your storage capacity, but don't go too nuts, just get the electrical components, and the critical sensors/parts. Nothing like having problem with something and saying "Oh, I have 2 of those in the shed" and 15 minutes later it is fixed. ;)

B

O2 sensors! You have 4 so get some spares...

Label everything very well and store in boxes. ;)

• Like 1

No problem, you are welcome

I realize a significant difference in our lists. You are adding major suspension components due to the rust factor that I wouldn't bother stocking at all. Makes sense, I just have never needed to consider that. :shrug:

B

Yeah, good call on the electrical gizmos. I need to stop by my local J/Y on the way home one day this weekend and take stock on some of the stuff you mentioned B. There were two or three pre facelift R50's in the yard a few weeks ago. I'm still waiting for a 99.5 - '04 to show up for some minor interior swag that I'd like to replace.

judging by the condition of the Pathys in the JK, mine is in fantastic shape....I've seen rear shocks rusted through, subframes, rockers and underbody in like condition. there were even a few wd21s that at first glance looked OK but....wow the rust! our climate and road salt just eats stuff up. I bet if it weren't for road salt and stupid drivers most of the auto industry would have gone under years ago...take that for a conspiracy theory.

as for interior stuff, I almost pulled all the faux wood out of an Infinity, then I though better of it.

I have like three sets of every bulb the truck takes. Plus fuses. Nothing like oem matching fuses so all the fonts are the same when you open the panel lol.

Like Precise said, I also keep a supply of switches and other electrical parts.

Luckly my 88 is a Ca. and no rust, the 94 was from back east and a rental, a little rust but it's been taken care of

B gave a good list, I'll have to agree there (great minds think alike or fools seldom differ?)

I'm not for thievery but pocketing some fuses/relays/etc ain't that big of a worry when your buying bigger things (I tend to make it obvious I AINT bagging things people usually pilfer). I tend to hoard parts and have room to keep it so I say there's no point in stopping! And there's worse things to be addicted to, hell me and the boss can spend a good part of a day mozying through a pick a part with no list of wanted parts.. Just rooting :aok:

I have like three sets of every bulb the truck takes. Plus fuses. Nothing like oem matching fuses so all the fonts are the same when you open the panel lol.

:rofl: you would worry about the fuse numbering font