Video, rough idle after new injector

mikestewart395

Shot a video this morning, sounds like it is skipping. I was up until 3am installing new injector. What does this sound like to you?

A side note. My vaccuum lines were not reattached to the air cleaner yet. Would that be the cause? I was going to leave them off while I fabricated a seperate breather box for them.

Edited by mikestewart395

I would make sure all your spark plug wires are seated properly. You can remove one at a time from the dizzy to see which makes a difference or not. Use some long insulated pliers or something though!

There is also the o rings that seal the injector but I would think it would be leaking fuel if those were an issue?

Edited by adamzan

That does sound odd, but then you have an interesting exhaust set up...

You can use a timing light to see if wires are carrying the spark, and check them for resistance as well. (see FSM)

I don't know the TBI system well enough to help much, but it does sound like one cylinder is off. Could there be a fouled plug, have you checked them?

Problems in the injector wiring?

Have you done a compression test to rule that out?

B

Does it speed up and slow down with engine rpm? I just thought it sounded like an exhaust leak. I think I agree with someone above stating remove one wire at a time until you find the one that when you pull it, nothing changes, the engine ignores the fact that you just removed a wire so atleast you'll be able to narrow it down to which cylinder it is. I'd have to take a stab at the injector you replaced and one or two of the pins on it is different than the harness, like a ground wire or some other signal pin isn't in the right spot, you might have used an injector with different mapping so it's not firing that cylinder, no combustion.

Why not remove the wires one at a time until you can confirm the culprit cylinder also happens to be the one with the newly replaced injector, then swap that injector into another cylinder that you obviously know is firing and see if you can re-create the problem.

Running short on time after work I just reseated all of the wires and reattached all the vacuum lines. It's running great now. This isn't the first time the weird wire thing happened. Every time I'm in there bumping around fixing something it seems to happen. It's time for some new wires I think.

And yes there is an exhaust leak. Part of the pipe sits inside another pipe, loosely. Not welded or anything. I have no idea what someone was doing there. If I opt to get my welder tomorrow or the next day I will climb under there and redo it proper.

• Like 1

Good to hear it's running right. When you weld the exhaust up, make sure you unhook the battery first, don't want to fry something. I've heard of people having problems with the oxygen sensors after welding, but I can't find any solid info on that now that I'm looking.

Maybe the PO was trying the same thing the PO of my friend's Dodge did: jam the two pipes together, fill the gap with aluminum foil, slap a hose clamp on it, and by the time the foil burns out, it's someone else's problem!