Glass Vs Plastic Headlights Who Has What

ONCEBITN

Using sand paper destroys the UV protective layer. Sure it might make them shiny new again but the plastic it's self is worse off for it and will oxidize even faster.

A good wax that chemically bonds to and eats corrosion/oxidization without harming the material works the best.

But you can restore the fading.... :shrug:

Yes, but why have to do that extra chore and expense? I have to 'restore' the lenses on the wife's Matrix every year, and they are due again. I'll take glass any day!

Using sand paper destroys the UV protective layer. Sure it might make them shiny new again but the plastic it's self is worse off for it and will oxidize even faster.

A good wax that chemically bonds to and eats corrosion/oxidization without harming the material works the best.

This. I find spraying on a vinyl or plastic protector with UV protection helps once that layer is gone, but you have to remember to do it every month or so, and even then the lenses still degrade, just not as quickly. Screw plastic lenses! P...

B

ok from experence with oxidized headlights, a green scitch brite pad with tooth paste gets the oxidization out the best, then you use wax and polish them to look new again, then get some clear plastidip and spray them down, least thats what i did on my s14 headlights

Lol my sis told me the other day she tried the tooth paste and it worked pretty well.

it works but you need to scrub, i peal off my clear plasti dip ever 3 months and polish them back up and spray again, it may not work for everyone but it did for me

• 2 weeks later...

Mine are glass, and even with premium bulbs I feel like I'm literally driving blind at night. And that's when it isn't raining. I tend to keep my fogs on whenever my low beams are on, so I can at least see close to me. I'll probably start looking into some offroad lights to remedy that though :happy:

My 99 has plastic. They seem in near new condition which leads me to believe they must have been replaced not too long ago. Maybe the originals were glass?! I guess this doesn't really help does it...

Sent from Tapatalk

My 99 has plastic. They seem in near new condition which leads me to believe they must have been replaced not too long ago. Maybe the originals were glass?! I guess this doesn't really help does it...

From the pictures in your build thread (it looks to be in beautiful shape btw, nice find!), your Pathy is a 1999.5 facelifted model. I'm pretty sure all the facelift ones came with plastic. Maybe they've recently been refinished?

From the pictures in your build thread (it looks to be in beautiful shape btw, nice find!), your Pathy is a 1999.5 facelifted model. I'm pretty sure all the facelift ones came with plastic. Maybe they've recently been refinished?

Thanks for clarifying that, I thought it was a face lifted 99.5 too as it has the plastic bumpers etc. At first I couldn't figure out why it was different than other 99 models.

I wouldn't say that the lights were refinished. They seem too spotless for that. Plus the previous owner wasn't exactly doing much with it besides resprayed some rust spots. Quite poorly I might add, I think he forgot the clear coat.

Back on subject, if these are oginial 15 year old plastic lenses then I am very impressed. I'll take a pic:

damu6era.jpgsune9y3e.jpg

Sent from Tapatalk

I think the issue of Plastic Vs Glass Headlight. Is not an issue of the Year they were mfg, but it has to do with the bulb they use.

Glass= 9004 lo/hi bulb

Plastic= H4 lo/hi bulb.

• 4 weeks later...

the glass seems to have a lot more lines/ridges (cant remember the technical name for it) than the plastic. I think GePa might be right that it has to do with the bulb. but was the bulb an option from the factory?

the glass seems to have a lot more lines/ridges (cant remember the technical name for it) than the plastic. I think GePa might be right that it has to do with the bulb. but was the bulb an option from the factory?

If you check the pre 99.5 have Glass and 9004 bulbs for the American Market; and the European ones branded as

Terranos will have plastic and H4.

Now after the 99.5 model it seems they unified everything to the much better H4 bulb.

Those ones, like the wd21 ones have the beam pattern on the glass. The 9004 bulb is terrible. Only a 45w low beam.