Please help cant open the spare tire carrier

This if for my 96. I just bought this and one thing Ive noticed is its a pain in the arse to open the spare tire carrier. I have to pull on the latch sometimes over 20 times until it unlocks. But this past weekend I was at the beach and I must have spent at least an hour trying to get that opened and nothing.. I think its finally dead.

Any clues on how to do this?

BTW this is my first post... Hello.

Mine did the same , on mine it seemed that the cable got stretched over time and reached a point where it just wouldnt work anymore .

I had the cable and latch replaced , parts were something around $90.00 .

I'd contact this fella here for dealer parts at a good price....

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/user/3939-alkorahil/

Cable? :scratchhead: The carrier latch design must've changed for the R50.

On the off chance you haven't tried it, maybe pushing the carrier towards the truck (so it's not resting against the latch) and pulling the lever would do the trick?

• Like 2

Glad to know I'm not the only one having this problem. Mine just started about a week ago, it's a pain when your hands are full.

Try leaning your shoulder against the tire, & then pull the latch. I'm going to make mine go as long as I can.

Cable? The carrier latch design must've changed for the R50.

It did, they went from the pull handle latch on the bottom on the WDs to a cable pull at the top behind the wheel. I've had both, & prefer the pull handle.

this is the handle and cable for the rear spare tire lock. It is still available from nissan.

PART NUMBER: 57260-0W010

CABLE ASSY, SPARE LOCK

$36.64

FWIW , I replaced the cable and the lock mechanism (not sure what its called) that the cable actuates .

It works great , no more PITA....

Edited by Beatup96