Interesting observation regarding mpg

PeteyPathy

I've had my pathy for a couple months now. The low fuel milage has troubled me because it just seems lower than it should be (wd21 vg30i 4x4) at 13 mpg consistent. I believed in conservative driving, keeping rpms down at all times. Then my daughter and I went out playing on the back roads (dirt) locked in 4hi running hard and fast. At end of day and 2/3 of a tank of fuel I'd gotten 15 mpg. I thought surely a fluke. Next week conservative driving got me 13 mpg again. This jogged my memory in 300Z i used to have on long road trip got optimum mpg at 77 mph (23 mpg). So i changed driving style went up to minimum shift out at 3k and minimum cruise of 2250 (surface streets). Last 2 weeks in a row I've gotten 16 mpg.

Just thought I'd throw this out there for all the guys with mpg concerns. The next 2 weeks I'll be bumping minimum shift out to 3500 rpm. I will report results here.

You're right, because when you shift too low, you are making the engine struggle and the ecu will just dump in more fuel. I got 19mpg in mine last tank, and I have 33s. I thought it was a fluke too, but I have been doing the same driving style and I am seeing an increase on the kms per tank so far according to the trip meter.

Vg30 makes peak torque by 3800 rpm, that is where you get the best burn, plus the factory ecu is extremely over compensating when it comes to enriching the mixture at low rpm/high load conditions. Shifting higher between 3-3.5k and keeping the load lower is probably your most economical driving style.

Edited by Nefarious

Don't know about leaving in in power mode but since the headers and new exhaust I do notice I get a lot better mileage around 75 mph than I did at 60-65 on the freeway. Around town the mileage really didn't change much :angry:

I get the best fuel mileage doing the same. Light throttle and wind it up some so when you shift it's still near the power band. Bogging down = more skinny pedal = more fuel consumption.

Can't comment on powermode mine is a standard. I never bogged mine down just kept rpms down when flowing with traffic tried for around 2250. I'd downshift if passing or doing more than maintaining speed.

The bigger tires will help with fuel economy because you are traveling farther with each tire rotation, without adding much more rolling resistance. Though unless you reset speedo for the larger tires you aren't going to get accurate mpg calculation using it. Maybe you can using a gps to track milage.

Experiment FAIL! Back down to 13 mpg on last tank. With consistent higher rpm shifts while staying in powerband....

I really think I've got some kind of intermittent electrical problem. I have noticed a very occasional miss at idle, can't find why... On an 87 DTC code 11 is crank position sensor right? I'm not looking at wrong set of codes am I? Is distributor adjustable on these engines? Maybe I'm a couple degrees off correct timing, that would screw up fuel economy if firing too early or too late.... I'm at a loss guys. Any suggestions are welcome. I've replaced plug wires, reset gap on plugs other than that plugs were good, gap was only off couple thousandths. Haven't replaced cap and rotor because they look ok and were going to have to be ordered in.

Edited by PeteyPathy

Yes, the dizzy is adjustable. 15 deg BTC is the setting for the VG30E, I'm assuming it is the same for VG30I. Might want to make sure there is no play in the dizzy shaft...

1986.5-1995 Nissan ECU Flash Codes(all engines)
11 Crank Angle Sensor/Camshaft Position Sensor.

B