Help - Front-End "Thunk" and "Rattle"

xterra

About a month ago, I started getting a "thunk" noise when I turned the steering wheel full right or left - like when I pull into a parking space. Usually it's just a single thunk.

I've also noticed a "rattle" or "vibration" coming from underneath when driving on rough roads - almost like there's something starting to come loose. It's not a loud, constant noise - it's more subdued than that. And that seems to be coming from both the front and back - but I can't be 100% certain on that. :scratchhead:

I'm planning on replacing the shocks in a couple months and adjusting the torsion bars at the same time.

I'm assuming that won't fix it, so what else should I be looking at that could cause the "thunk" and "rattle"? And would they be related, or should I be looking at two different causes? I'm assuming that it's something that's worn out, but I don't know what I should be looking for (or at).

To save y'all the hunt: WD21, VG30e, 4x4, stock suspension

As always, thanks to sharing your collective knowledge. :beer:

Noise at full lock isn't unusual; the steering stops hit the A-arms and make scraping popping generally bad sorts of noises. A glob of grease on the stop might quiet them down.

The rattle could be a heat shield getting loose.

Rattle noise could be the lower piece of the fan shroud has come off it's little nodgule. These shrouds are a two piece that clip together and there is a little slot directly in the centre bottom piece that clips onto a metal nodgule. That can be fixed with a bit of clear silastic to stop it rattling. Worth having a look at anyway.

Agree with Slartibartfast on the glob of grease on the bump stops, sometimes the plastic cap can be totally worn away. I checked mine and they are unbelievably still there after 23 years lol