Shake, Rattle & Roll no more

gv280z

Here's a way to end all that noise coming from your rear window and liftgate when going over bumps or road joints. At my shop we use this 1" thick foam rubber padding for one our piece of equipment. I've always got tons of excess of this stuff so I cut a strip into some small pieces, took it home and using super glue, attached the foam rubber sections in a few strategic areas in the window and liftgate jam to tighten it up and deaden the knocking / vibration noise coming from loose shutting clasps. If any of you want some of this stuff I can send you strips of it, enough to do the whole vehicle. I drove around after I did this and it seemed to work pretty well, I didn't hear all the rattling that I used to.

20140507_173353_zpsow4lwq2i.jpg

20140507_173330_zpsyiqc8bds.jpg

20140507_173217_zpswa67wnft.jpg

20140507_173246_zps05dthjde.jpg

He's referring to the latch plate for your rear tyre carrier. Have a look where the latch plate is. It's a piece directly below where your rear wiper bracket is. If the tyre carrier isn't sitting on that plate down near your bumper then of course it's gonna rattle. Simply a matter of unscrew a bit, adjust up a bit, recheck. And remember "Close it hard because if you don't it's not shut properly."

You can move the latch for the rear hatch (the part on the floor) around a little to make the hatch close better. Maybe the one for the glass is adjustable too, I haven't tried it. I moved the hatch one a bit and still had wiggle so I wrapped it in electrical tape... much quieter now.

Keep saving your foam scraps though, that stuff would make great redneck dynamat!

Kind of what is said above. For example, top center of your last picture (and in the glass), there are 3 screws holding the latch on. They can be loosened, and the latch moved to some degree, maybe not enough. Same goes for the other latch plates as well. That doesn't mean it will be enough adjustment though, that's why the foam is a good idea as well. ;)

B

• 2 weeks later...

I have adjustable stops on my rear glass gate, similar to those under the hook.. They look bike big rubber screws. I used to give em a turn every once in a while but got tired of that and hit em with some lock tight, they don't settle anymore and I haven't adjusted the hood or rear glass in a couple of months.

Another tip along the lines of your rubber fix, I refreshed all my window seals by cutting bike tubes into flat strips of rubber and cementing them in place. Some painters tape and plastidip makes for a very slick and functional boost to aged weather stripping. Took a couple hours including dry time and I managed to fix all the gaps in each corner but now that I've got a good process I'll be doing this all the way around the truck. No more whistle at hwy speeds!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Edited by madhakish

This is funnier than SNOT. We take rubber foam tape for weather stripping to every new semi truck we get and wrap all the doors and hood. It reduces the rattling and wind noise down to almost nothing. I did the same thing as above but did all the doors on the pathfinder also, only noise we get now comes thru they transfer case boot, and that needs to get replaced with a new set. It's a great and cheap fix...oh and it helps to keep the water out when crossing those deep mud puddles.