Anyone Add a Third Brake Light?

xterra

It happened again today. I came to a stop sign and heard skreaching brakes behind me for the forth time in as many weeks. :wacko: No impact yet, but it feels like it's only a matter of time. I've checked my brake lights, and they're both working fine. (Yes, both. As in only two.)

My theory is that people have become so used to high-mount third brake lights that they don't realize you're stopping without seeing something at eye level. (They could also be texting, eating, or putting on make-up, but it's my story and sticking with it...) :D

I know that this is primarily an offroad forum, so the third brake light may not be as big a concern. But my truck will be my daily driver in less than two months - and I'd like to keep it on the road and out of the body shop. So after trying searches and finding zilch, I figured I'd throw the question out to the community.

- There doesn't appear to be any way to use the factory light/washer nozzle combo from later WD21s without replacing the whole hatch from a doner. Has anyone successfully done this transplant? Did the patient survive?

- Has anyone installed an after-market third brake light?

- What was the brand, model? Was it interior or exterior? How was it mounted?

- Has anyone tried the Jeep approach and mounted it to their spare tire carrier?

Any ideas, advice, and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

My '98 has one mounted inside the rear window with a couple of screws. Don't see why you couldn't swap one with a bit of wiring from a rear tail light.

• Like 1

There's also the Jeep style lights that go above the tire, although Im sure that affects visibility out the back. I've seen "universal" kits for that style stop light. If you have a tire rack and dont use a cover there are also LEDs that go in the unused lug nut holes.

A factory one is only a matter of drilling a couple holes and running wires. Even lining up ain't a big deal as the cover has the roofs body line in it.

17cbf1c2.jpg

The strait wing even fits over it if you have a wing (very old pic, I have the correct wing on right now)

I like the idea of adapting the one inside from an R50. I'll take a look today to see if it looks like it'll work well.

The other option is to buy a good Pathfinder, one that came with a 3rd brake light, rounded dash, rounded cam pulleys, etc... :whistle:

B

• Like 1

And too many doors

It can be argued that if you're going to buy a station wagon, at least buy one with proper access to the rear seats.

Also, that straight wing does block some of the third brake light at eye level, but it's fine from a cars point of view. Also, WD21 third brake lights aren't all that great, and I've never had a problem of being nearly rear ended. 20 years and the LEDs aren't as bright as they once were.

Maybe you could opt for brighter bulbs? Maybe your tail light housings are cloudy? Or, just let someone smash in to you because they weren't paying attention and reap the money. Then you could even buy a Pathfinder with a CHMSL already optioned.

And too many doors

To count? :tongue:

So I was curious about this so I went and took a look. As Nunya said, it is 3 holes in the outer sheet metal for some screws and run the wires, nice and simple. Probably the biggest thing is the color match...

010_zps0b35940a.jpg

My screws were a little loose, so I tightened them up...

009_zps91a86a3b.jpg

With the R50, the light is mounted to the glass and is on the inside. This is what it looks like without the cover...

008_zpsea7f2e7a.jpg

It seems to me that the plastic bracket that holds the assembly could easily be glued or taped to to the glass its self. Mask it off with some limo tint to reduce any glare and you would be good to go with an interior mounted light. :aok:

B

• Like 1

Thanks all for the ideas! (And a special thanks to B for the pictures behind the trim - even though your WD21 has two too many doors!) :laugh:

Since I had today off, I went to the local self serve JY and came with a couple goodies. :jig:

First I found a rear wing and hinges (my truck doesn't have one). A little faded, but nothing a little sanding and Krylon won't fix. It came off of a 94, so it's contoured for an exterior light. The color on the donor was wrong (green instead of black) and the light was completely jacked up, but it's something that I can keep any eye out for. Once I find a black one, I'll probably just use the shell and lens cover and make new innards to replace the LEDs based on other threads I've read.

For plan "B" I got an R50 brake light - the wider one with 8 or 10 bulbs. I've got a spare XE hatch glass I was using until I found some SE glass, so I can test epoxying some bolts onto it and getting some measurements.

Plan "C" would be to get a Ron Francis Wiring stick on light from Summit Racing - but it's $51 and I can get a whole back door/hatch from my local JY for $35. :unsure:

As always, the information here has been great and put my on a path. (It may not be the right path, but it's better than standing still...) ;) I'll let all y'all know how it ends up.

OT, but I'd like to congratulate you for owning one of the rarest Pathfinder's.

a 1990 equipped with only two doors is very rare. I've only ever seen one in person, and it was in the junk yard.

OT, but I'd like to congratulate you for owning one of the rarest Pathfinder's.

Thanks Dennis!

From the numbers I've seen floating around the Internet, only between 500 - 1200 were imported into the US.

I only saw one other '90 2-door on the market before I bought mine - and I was on the hunt for ~9 months.

With any luck, I'll be keeping this one out of the JY for a very long time!