Thinking of buying

Guest jbsiii

Hello all,

This looks like a great place to get information on a great midsize SUV.

I've decided it's time to get an SUV, since I've lived in Colorado for 18 years now. My 16 year old needs something to make his driving mistakes on, and I'd like to have something I can take to the mountains, and pull a small pop-up trailer (~1500 lbs). A friend at work has a 2001 Pathfinder and loves it.

I'm interested in advise on which model year to get. I'd like to get a manual transmission to make sure my son learns how to drive one. Any thoughts on whether towing with a 5 speed is a good idea? Other things to watch out for?

Thanks, y'all!

John

Don't spoil your child with a fancy car like that! He might end up like me :P Just kidding. I got my '01 SE a couple months after my 18'th bday. I just love it. But if you want him to make his mistakes on a car, this may not be the right car. I drove an oldschool volvo for two years before I got my pathy. Anyway, it's not a cheap set o wheels, but it is very safe and very dependable. But I guess if you have the means, go ahead, make him the happiest kid in school!

You could also save some coin and go back as far as 96 -- if you poke around here you can find out what the common problems are and to look to see if they have been remedied. I am 20 now, but got my Pathfinder (97 XE with a manual) when I graduated high school. I love the thing, towing shouldn't be a problem with something that light, I had to bring a U-Haul to school this year (furniture and such for my house) and I drive accross the Blue Ridge (from Northern VA to Ohio) and it did great. Sure I had to downshift to get up the grades, but it wasnt a problem at all, plenty of power (of course the 99.5+ has the bigger/more powerful engine) but when I was looking at them I had a harder time finding those in manual, however that could've been just where I was looking. Anyways, great trucks, reliable and solid.

BTW I also learned to drive on an oldschool volvo wagon with a 5 speed and 299,000 miles.

Good luck with your searching!

if you want a manual you'll have to get an XE or LE...i dont delieve the SE comes in a stick

I think you got that a little mixed. Its either XE or SE, the LE is their luxury line and comes with only auto. The manual vs auto has its ups and downs. Manual is better at gas consumption and auto I believe is better when towing.

The auto has a higher towing capacity rating, but for 1500lbs, it won't matter. As a matter of fact, I received my 97 SE (5speed) a few months after my 16th, and I think it is a great first car. I'm still drivign it, with no desire for another vehicle till college is over. Not enough power to make you want to race around, but a nice enough car to the point where I take care of it much more than I would if I got a beater ;)

The XE is the bottom line and the LE is the Top line. SE would be the sport edition or middle line. I'm not sure about the LE or XE but the SE does come in a 5 speed manual. That is what I have. A 2001 5 speed SE. Great ride also when towing, unless your trying to back it up a slopped drive way. Only regret I have is that its not 4 wheel drive, but they are out there.

Exactly what Big J said, not really enough power to make you want to burn ricers, but there is plenty of power for towing and its a nice enough vehicle that your kid *should* want to take care of it. Even here at school I still manage to keep mine washed/waxed. I really have no desire to get another vehicle (except maybe another old BMW... i miss my 5 series) But again, great truck, great first vehicle, great 15th vehicle. I have a 97, my dad has an 01, and both of us love them. Whatever route you go you can't really go wrong with a Pathfinder.

Thanks for the insights, guys. Actually, I'm not planning on giving the vehicle to my teenager. I'm not that crazy :P . However, he will be coming of age as a driver in it, before I dare allow him behind the wheel of my 94 Mustang GT 5 speed. Come to think of it, I may make him wait until he's about 30 before I do that.

Anyway, I found a basic 97 5 speed on a local lot. 76 K miles. Absolutely no power accessories at all, so there's little to break down. Seems to drive OK, and I listened when I started it cold for the telltale tapping sound I read about to indicate the manifold problem, and didn't hear anything. However, after driving it, I noticed a distinct "oil on a manifold" smell that I often get when I add oil to my 'stang and overshoot the filler hole a bit. So, I'm a bit leery of the engine. They're asking $7900 for it, which is about $1200 over what Edmunds says dealer price for it should be, assuming I give them credit for "average" condition on the vehicle. It has been dinged a little, the rear bumper droops a bit on the right side, and there's a couple of scratches in the paint, but nothing too terrible.

Thoughts?

Thanks again for your opinions.

John

Sounds ok, I bought mine in December of 03, its a 97XE with 5speed, 4x4, pw,pl and had 68K on it. Paid 8900. They were asking 11,000. So factor in a 2-3K dealer markup and that sounds about right. What do you mean by "drove OK"? That is pretty low mileage so I would assume that it would be fairly smooth (i.e idle w/no shakes, smooth accel., no hesitation) Test drive some other ones to compare the engine sounds/feeling with it will give you a better idea if you just aren't used to driving a Pathfinder or if there is something wrong.

good luck!

What I meant by "runs OK" was that the engine seems to have the right amount of pep, although it's the only one I've driven, so I'll try driving another one tomorrow. No hesitation or sputtering in the engine, no shaking or anything I wouldn't expect. But the hot oil smell still concerns me. So the dealer says they'll look into it and let me know before I make a purchase decision. Hopefully soon I can post some pics for everyone's approval.

John

Well, like a said I only notice it. I check everything I could see and it all looked good. I also took it to the stealer and they said everything was fine. It's very light.

JBS, if you smell oil I would stay away from it. Look around and you'll find a good deal. I purcahsed my 2001 se in 2001 with only 600 miles on it for $21,500 (sticker was $29,000). It was a 5 speed and they could not get if off the lot. Fortantly that was what I was looking for, unfortantly it wasn't 4 wheel drive. But it has power everything except seats. Great SUV. It was the first time I walked away with a smile on my face when buying a car. :D

Edited by Trialsin26

Yea, this was a popular vehicle and they are *fairly* easy to find at a reasonable price (much less than the overpriced 4Runner) Be patient, took my a month to find mine, granted my criteria was fairly strict (Black, 5speed, V6, 4x4, Pw, Pl, non leather) But just go out and look around they are out there and if you keep your eyes peeled you will find what you are looking for.

That's funny- my criteria differed quite a bit. I wanted Ivory or Silver, leather, sunroof, and "AWD" in addition to PT 4WD. For that I had to go to the LE line. I had to look around for a week and finally found one. It's a 2002 model and I paid around $21K for it.

I wanted a 2001 or 2002 and I don't like the styling of the new Pathys at all. There are several around but you have to make sure the one you buy (in aditional to mechaanical soundness) does not have any significant rust underneath. many of the ones they are getting from the auctions up East are starting to rust out underneath. Sometimes, that isn't a big deal but you have to make sure you know how extensive the rust is.