Rack and Pinion

Has anyone replaced the rack and pinion gears in the front end out of 87 wd21? How hard is it to do? I have about 1/8 play in the front diff where the front drive shaft is. I found a rack and pinion set for 315 but I have another 88 pathy with the same gears. should I just sway the whole axle housing or just buy a new set

In my pinion. I need to rebuild my front diff till then I'll blow it up or try and us the other one I have out of my 88 pathy. I really don't want to tear it a apart but I will have to soon.

Back and forth or turning?

If the gear ratio in your other rig is the same, it should bolt right in and work fine. If the ratio's wrong, a wrecking yard might sell you a diff for less than you could get those gears for.

• 5 weeks later...

It's easy to pull out, not as easy to put back in. It's actually less work to swap the one from your other truck over...but... why do you say it needs replacing? Does it make any noise or otherwise drive improperly? A tiny bit of rotational play in yhe driveshaft likely wont ruin your day if its that small and you don't have any other issues?

Just some play in the ping and pinion where the front drive shaft meets. 1/4 play but drives fine and no noise, grinding, or problems with it just the play in it that's all.

Sent from my Z795G using Tapatalk