What's in your bugout kit?

aj503

Zombies, natural disasters just crazy people going crazy haha... We all have the finders which are an excellent choice for bugging out, but what but what is in your bag that gets thrown in the back?

^He wears his belt on his head, so you'll see him coming...

Fire, water, warmth, high calorie/non perishable food and basic basic road side tools are usually in our vehicles, but I have to redo the kits. Thanks for the reminder.

A firearm if I can get home (we can't wear ours on our heads here), but if I get home all I need is there, so... :shrug:

B

• Like 1

I don't have a vehicle so no kit, when I had a vehicle no kit. If the zombies take over I'm heading to the large gun store near by and stocking up. Maybe will grab a real hummer H1 that a guy I know has.

the problem with waiting till something goes wrong to prepare is by then its to late.....that gun store will be empty!

you don't have to be a "prepper" to be well prepared. those guys are just plain crazy!

think of the worst thing that could happen where you live...(katrina x7?). Give it some serious thought. figure out a plan for that, scale it back to whats most likely to happen then that is what you need to prepare for. knowledge is most times worth more than bullets.

there is nothing crazy about having a few weeks of food in the pantry, or some containers in the garage you can store water in.

our grandparents always planed for an uncertain future maybe we need to go back to their way of thinking.

knowledge is most times worth more than bullets.

there is nothing crazy about having a few weeks of food in the pantry, or some containers in the garage you can store water in.

our grandparents always planed for an uncertain future maybe we need to go back to their way of thinking.

Quite true, but the bullets are for the crazies... ;)

I'm pretty sure the OP means what you have in place to grab and run, and I'm pretty sure most people don't really have anything set up.

I actually bought a dedicated bag to toss things into including food, water, water purification (required in my book), medical kit, basic clothing depending on the season, electronics and defense items.

It isn't grab and go ready, but all the items are stashed about so I'd be 'packed' in 15 minutes and could clear out the house within about an hour if need be.

I'd still try to stay put if possible, depending on the disaster though, nothing like running to the hills with a million of your closest friends. All the good camping spots would be gone, and the fun would end in a few days when the generator gas and booze runs out... :lol:

B

bugging in is definitely preferable to bugging out. I do forget how many people live in the lower 48. when the sh*t goes down head north Brother.

"stay calm, be brave and wait for the signs" ;)

Edited by bushnut

Yeah, there are more people in my state than in your country.

Unfortunately, if things get really bad, I doubt I could make the 1k mile trek due North to cross the border to freeze to death in the snow. Head south Brother, but just far enough to keep warm. ;)

The good news is that most of the population are down south, either 50+ miles or mostly 500 miles South (big state). Most would begin thirsting/starving in a few weeks in a major catastrophy and that is were the problems start, but if relief isn't on the way at that point there are far bigger problems!

The 50+ mile people in the Bay Area are about 7 million of the 38 million, so I'm hoping most of them would go east/south, but the ones going north will run out of gas north of me and start back once they realize they can't eat bark and Bambi isn't waiting around to be food. Northern California is actually pretty wild, just minus the snow, mostly. I could deal with it for a while, but not without setting up a camp.

I've got some supplies/equipment, grow some vegetables, and plan to have a solar set up capable of maintaining a few batteries for electronics, flashlights, etc. We could get by as long as we weren't burned out or shot, but neither would be too easy, I think. We have discussed making the home a rendezvous point regardless of scenario, because at least there should be something usefull left.

My WD21 is actually 'the escape pod', as I'm setting it up for living out of, not hard core wheeling.

I'm not paranoid, a prepper by a long shot or some survivalist but I believe in maintaining some of the basics that actually define society. It isn't actually that hard to set up basic survival/comfort systems, just more that people don't want to think about it/invest the $. As a science guy, I know how fragile society has become with population densities and supply chains; any of that breaks, and it's going to get bad for the 1st world. Then there is the volcanic activity, meteor/astroid, nuclear, climate change realities/possibilities; all more likely than people want to believe.

Sorry folks, but the vacuum covered ball we live on isn't as stable as you think, well protected or immune to our machinations. Great civilizations have fallen due to catastrophies or just a change in winds/rains, and the earth damn near wiped us out 50,000+ years ago just by getting cold on the surface. (sorry to the religious folks, but you need to get a clue)

A BOB is a great thing, and everyone should have one in their car or at least ready to go at home. Basic tools, water, medical, fire, shelter is essential but easy to carry.

It would make a huge difference in many situations, but still implies there is somewhere to go...

B

Sounds like you've thought this through. The only thing I would add is to find some like minded friends to help share the load. Long term survival takes a group larger than your immediate family.

What people don't understand is that the walking dead cant live in the cold like where I live. The cold will kill them all do to freezing and wind chill. I will go out side and take the frozen dead and line them up in the yard and stick a bullet in all them. No mess to clean up when everything is frozen. :ar15:

• Like 1

sorry bro, I'm not that worried about the walking dead. (they're already all around us...have you been to a mall lately?)

Natural disasters combined with high unemployment and high food and fuel costs are far more likely.

• Like 1