1993 Pathfinder - What would cause this?

MrEviLDeD

Hello everyone!

This morning I drove my wife to work and things were working just fine. Got home all fine. Took a bit of a nap, got up to go pick my wife up from work and started to notice the truck was loping up and down as I went over a bump like the shocks were suddenly shot. Got to my destination and looked and there is a complete section broken off from the rear drivers side sock and what looks to be penetrating oil in the bolt for the passenger side. DOesn't look like they are leaking as there would be oil all over them wouldn't there?

With that said when I was driving there was no sounds or noises that indicated that anything broke. I didn't do anything outside of driving on the road at speed.

Anyhow I was wondering if anyone could tell me why or how something like the following images could have taken place between my parking her and getting back into her 4 hours later..

Shock_Rear_Drivers001.jpg

Rear, drivers side.

Shock_Rear_Drivers002.jpg

Rear, drivers side

Shock_Rear_Passenger001.jpg

Rear, passenger side.

Is this common? I have never seen this happen with a shock before. I have seen them go but I have never had one break completely off and or look like the passenger side one does.

(Sorry about the bright shots, my phone camera likes to pick up sunlight more than any other light it would seem)

Edited by MrEviLDeD

Mein Gott in Himmel!

Time for new shocks on the back for sure. I would get new bolts, nuts and washers as well, those do not look pretty

Edited by Alkorahil
  • Like 3

Much easier than I expected. I went through the process of removing the wheel but realized that when it comes to the shocks you really do not even have to jack up the Pathfinder for access to either the front or rear shocks.. I can see it being a bit easier with the wheel off for the front but the back it made little to no difference at all. At least that is out of the way..

Thanks everyone.