help this nOOb

lowrider

Ok, so i fought with my truck two weekends ago. Got the Ford coils in, and some other minor stuff accomplished. Last weekend i had to work all weekend, and i'm out of town every weekend till the end of the month. So i don't really have a whole day i can devote to the truck until sometime in march.

This is my issue: the bolts are FROZEN on the drivers side torsion bar adjustments. Frozen to the point that i fought with that side for 2 hours with the biggest wrenches i have and a can of WD-40. Is it safe to heat the bolts up in an attempt to free them? I didn't want to try this until i talked to you guys, i cannot deal with those bolts snapping cuz i was being stupid, which is why i didn't put the impact on them.

Your thoughts are appriciated.

WD-40 isn't made for freeing stuck bolts. Get some Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster or some other penetrating oil type product. Spray it on each day for a few days. That might help.

Not to insult, but you are loosening the two nuts on top of the adjustment bolts before you're trying to move it, right? Once I backed the nuts off, I used an electric impact gun to loosen and tighten the bolt w/o any problems.

Good luck.

Not to insult, but you are loosening the two nuts on top of the adjustment bolts before you're trying to move it, right? Once I backed the nuts off, I used an electric impact gun to loosen and tighten the bolt w/o any problems.

Yes, i should have specified. i am attempting to loosen the two nuts on the top of the bolt. and i'm ready to P... the $hit out of my truck pretty soon

i wouldnt hesitate at using an impact wrench if you have access to one

hint: before doing em back up pull em out, hit them with the wire brush and then grease em..... makes everything abit happier when going back in - specially if your looking for more lift ;)

I'm on the other side. I wouldn't use an impact unless I have absolutely no other choice. I have snapped off waaaaaaay to many bolt heads with those darn things, and in the most in opportune places. I'd recomend PB blaster for a day or two (let it soak in, be patient), pound it a few times with a hammer to free up any corrosion, and use a wrench w/ a cheater bar. I'm a much bigger fan of cheater bars, just make sure you find one that slips completely over the wrench for safety's sake. Good luck.

M.M.

Try wire brushing the exposed thread first, then try a cheaterbar (get a friend to help) after soaking everything with PBB or something for a few days. I seem to remember almost dislocating my shoulder before I got mine to budge... Bad comes to worse, don't get mad or frustrated, GET EVEN !! Go buy a nut splitter, and put it out of its (and your) misery...

Bernard