Inaccurate Oil dipstick reading?

rbaum94

I went and checked my oil today and there was no oil on the stick at all, triple checked..

Poured in about half to 3/4th a quart of oil and it was back to the full reading, also triple checked. Is this normal?

I just thought that if there was no oil on the dip stick at all, that would mean that it would be a couple quarts of oil gone, not about only 3'4ths a quart..

What I don't get is how it is that mine doesn't even read on the level indicator but about an inch above the top of it??? I still have only 3.5 liters of oil in it and recover 3.4 litres at every oil change.

sent from under Ernest the Pathfinder

I went and checked my oil today and there was no oil on the stick at all, triple checked..

Poured in about half to 3/4th a quart of oil and it was back to the full reading, also triple checked. Is this normal?

Yea, if mine is a little low it takes very little oil to get back to full.

I just thought that if there was no oil on the dip stick at all, that would mean that it would be a couple quarts of oil gone, not about only 3'4ths a quart..

The H to L points on the dip stick is 1 quart.

What I don't get is how it is that mine doesn't even read on the level indicator but about an inch above the top of it??? I still have only 3.5 liters of oil in it and recover 3.4 litres at every oil change.

Sounds like you're checking your oil wrong. You want to do it on a cold engine, or one that has been turned off for 10-15 minutes. Pull dipstick out, wipe clean, put dip stick back in and make sure it seats all the way down, pull it out and check the level.

Only 3.5 litres coming out? What engine do you have because I have the turbo diesel 2.7 and mine takes 7 litres to fill up. You probably need more oil.

Holy moly that's a lot of oil for such a little engine! a 4x4 VG30 equipped pathfinder only takes 3 5/8 quarts WITH filter change. I usually just dump the entire four quarts in it though.

Yeah it is about 6.2 litres, last time I did the oil change I put 7 in it. Doesn't smoke although it's up to the full mark. I wish it would just take 5 litres instead of 7 because they sell the oil here in either 5 litres, 10 or 20 litre containers. It would be so much cheaper to buy 5 litres than having to buy 10 litres and have a bit left over. In one way it's ok in case I need an emergency top up, if it ever happens.

Yeah it is about 6.2 litres, last time I did the oil change I put 7 in it. Doesn't smoke although it's up to the full mark. I wish it would just take 5 litres instead of 7 because they sell the oil here in either 5 litres, 10 or 20 litre containers. It would be so much cheaper to buy 5 litres than having to buy 10 litres and have a bit left over. In one way it's ok in case I need an emergency top up, if it ever happens.

I image the turbos need a little bit more oil, because the turbo is oil fed. Is there some sort of oil cooler as well?

If you buy the 10 liter jugs, every 7th change you have a "free" one. I buy the five quarts jugs here, and every fourth change I already have the oil and just need the filter.

Diesel engines simply take more oil as it is, just the nature of the beast. There's a whole lot more stress going on inside a diesel than a gas engine. 6.5 quarts really isn't that surprising.

• Like 1

Here's mine after sitting for 4-5 days and a 10 degree lean to the driver side.

First pull:

X9PxHFA.jpg

Clean:

q646qyi.jpg

Recheck:

NxbORqS.jpg

Oil's so clean you can hardly see it, but there was oil up to the thin braided portion.

Mine is in need of a change, it's a Castrol Syntec and has put in the winter here in Montreal. Next up is whatever is on sale in 5w30 and a Fram Xtra Guard

I'm just not getting how we are supposed to read it on the upper braided part if the high and low mark is 3/4" below that!! I would have to guess that somebody stuffed the dipstick tube into the motor until it stopped instead of where it's supposed to be. So I just pull, wipe, insert up to the plastic base and roll with that. 3.5 liters is still a weird number for a 3.0 V6 but maybe that's just me... I expect a V6 to have closer to 4.4 litres of oil with a new filter. The Subaru took that much and it's a 4 cyl... of couse the Subaru also blew an oil seal and left me stranded.

VG30E should be 3.4 liters w/filter for 4x4. 4 liters w/filter for 2x4. If it's up in the braided area you've got to much oil in it.

I'm just not getting how we are supposed to read it on the upper braided part if the high and low mark is 3/4" below that!! I would have to guess that somebody stuffed the dipstick tube into the motor until it stopped instead of where it's supposed to be. So I just pull, wipe, insert up to the plastic base and roll with that. 3.5 liters is still a weird number for a 3.0 V6 but maybe that's just me... I expect a V6 to have closer to 4.4 litres of oil with a new filter. The Subaru took that much and it's a 4 cyl... of couse the Subaru also blew an oil seal and left me stranded.

It's a very small, but deep oil pan.

I image the turbos need a little bit more oil, because the turbo is oil fed. Is there some sort of oil cooler as well?

If you buy the 10 liter jugs, every 7th change you have a "free" one. I buy the five quarts jugs here, and every fourth change I already have the oil and just need the filter.

Well what I normally do is I buy the 10 litre then on the next oil change I get a 5 litre so I then have 8 litres. The 1.5 litres I don't use on that change I just pour into a separate clear container I keep for top ups if needed. Yes I believe there is an oil cooler on this engine, it's an intercooler mounted on top, I have an air vent mouth on the hood that sucks in air which in turn cools the engine. You can feel performance is better in cool weather as opposed to humid air but the temp doesn't climb any further than halfway even on a hot day. It's normally like this position _\__