Unpleasant Odor Highway Driving

Procrastinational

Hi all,

My pathfinder has had an odd issue as long as I can remember (at least 2 years). I'm really hoping you guys can help me figure out what the cause is. I used the search, and I didn't find anything with the same issue. Other smells, but not the same issue.

So basically, this never pops up in normal driving, but when I go on a long highway trip, after an hour or two, there seems to be a very unpleasant smell that seeps into the cabin. It sort of smells a bit like oil burning, but at each oil change, the oil level has never really dropped at all. I believe the smell comes through the a/c vents in the dash, and it occurs whether the fan is on or not (not really relevant but the A/C does not work so I don't have the fan on often in the summer).

I have just taken to cracking the window, which provides enough airflow that I don't smell anything, but I'd really like to figure out what is causing this. It seems to occur more strongly and come on more quickly when I drive at higher speeds on the highway (it's geared pretty low, so anything over 3000 or maybe 3200 on the highway, or around 110 km/h and above, brings on the smell after a while). The temperature gauge is always rock steady a hair below half on the dial.

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks :)

Yep, I would re-tighten the valve covers first, it only takes a little oil running down to burn off and stink.

Take a look around the exhaust manufold and cats to see if there is anything noticable as well.

B

Considering it is a few mouse clicks, yes, I'd say it is easy... :)

They need to be hosted on an internet site like photobucket (there are quite a few) and then you copy the direct link from that site and paste it into the picture icon field after you click on it (^above).

Our 1999.0 had leaking valve cover gaskets bad enough that the spark plug wells were filled with a mixture of bakes oil and acorn husks (courtesy of some mice, obviously). It took me 3 hours to clean the wells out enough for me to pull the plugs.

Just try snugging the screws and wiping off the immediate oil so you can see if it still leaks. You can only get to 1/2 the screws on the drivers side, but that worked well enough.

B

Remove the plug and put some teflon tape on there. Those valve cover gaskets don't look that bad. Try tightening the screws. Could be bad at the back side of the engine like mine were.

Don't worry about the diff, that probably took years to ooze and it hasn't even managed a drip yet. If anything, it will keep that part from rusting. Hell, you should probably get more and smear it around!

B