Liftgate supports removal mission impossible

turbonegro

Can anyone tell me how to remove the liftgate support struts from a 92? They do not resemble the new I purchased from autozone, there is no c-clamp to remove. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

the factory ones include the mount, to use the aftermarket type that just sit on the ball on each end you need to cut the factory ends off so you can re-use the mount, than the aftermarket supports will mount to the ball mount. If you do decide to cut off the old supports (from the mounts) be careful not to cut into the ball part.

you can buy the stock type supports from an online dealer (Rob), or local dealer,

you could cut the old supports off the mounts with a hacksaw or dremel tool and use a screwdriver to pry where you cut apart than the end of the support will come off the ball part of the mount.

Return the ones to auto zone and buy the correct ones with the mount, exactly what I did when I first got my truck, same exact deal, trust me is the easiest way.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

When I got mine (wife got them for me a few years ago, I think she went to CARQUEST and used the shop discount) they came with the ball mount. You say you don't have tools to cut so just return them and get the actual correct ones that come with the hardware, not the ones the air freshner stocker said were the right length.

• Like 1

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I called around to see if I coould buy just the ball mounts and no one had them. I then asked if they had the strut with the ball mount included, and again no dice. So I ended going to the dealer and buying the ball mounts and using the aftermarket struts. It worked out however the mounts were 11 bucks a piece. So overall it was 100 bucks to replace both struts. Pieces and Creases

I got the support struts for the hatch at jy for $10 they are still new, manufacturing date 12/20/13. the only thing is that I was just going to ask this very question..go figure it was already in here...so I guess I have to get the cut off tool and make a few cuts. The new ones come with the c clip style.

I would also be careful when working with the struts, I was investigating the strut mount on my 92SE and I assume that the threads on the liftgate door itself were accomplished via spot welding a nut of some type on the inside of the liftgate. I accidently applied pressure on the strut when it was partially unscrewed and the part with the threads popped off and fell inside the hollow area of the liftgate door. For years after that I resorted to using a dowel to prop the door open.... :broken:

I went through this recently as well (with Pep Boys). Got them online for both the hatch and glass. Took them both back to the store for a refund because they were no where near the correct part. Ended up getting new StrongArm brand supports through Amazon. Less than $65 total for all four, but I think well worth it for the bolt-on convenience.