Fun time clutch time!

cvdloc

So in the next couple days or by next week I'll be doing the clutch on my truck. Last time I did this was a couple years ago on my 95 pathy and that was an auto to standard swap. I have a few questions before I jump into it. Truck info: z24 5 speed manual 4x4

First is the suspension components (t-bar removal) if I remember correctly, I loosen off the bolts until I have slack, unbolt cross member and hammer out both the torsion bars and cross member as a whole. No need for making marks on how the splines line up?

Second is in the Haynes manual it recommends that I use gear puller for the release bearing. Is this nessecary? I don't remember having to use this before?

Lastly is fluid, I'm sceptical about this since the 5 speed I used in my 95 swap took 4.0L (vg30) of oil while my (z24) 5 speed only uses 2.4L... Seems fishy since the t-case uses 2.2L. Btw these numbers came from the Haynes manual.

Anyways if you guys got tips and tricks feel free to mention them. Should be fun! Thanks guys!

I would jack up under the control arms to take the tension off the bars than loosen the adjusting bolts until you can remove the bars, no need to match up the slpines just make not of where the rear adjuster is before you remove them so you can put them back on in the same place.

Can't help further with the clutch never owned a manual trans Nissan truck.

Thanks ahardb0dy, I'm going to end up cranking the t-bars after wards since the truck has a 3-4" front lean to it. As of now the bolt heads hang down 1-2" below the cross member lol

Lol that reminds me, here is a funny story about t-bar removal.

Back when I was doing the auto to standard swap I had the donor truck jacked up and ready to go. I had to run out to grab something but I told my friend to remove the tbars. Well I came back to him torching the thing out! He got threw one but when I came back I stopped him and then unbolted the cross member and it litterly fell out. This is an excellent example of what NOT to do

Well I assumed he would unbolt it but I had a feeling he just wanted to torch something. But when you assume you make an ass of yourself lol

image-67.jpg

Went out this morning and got the clutch and oil. I didn't know I was getting the whole kit! Kind of surprise it was only 140$ Anyways for that price can't complain, probably could have saved some more by ordering it off of rockauto but I didn't have time to wait for delivery.

My worries were about the release bearing there to the left. I thought I'd have to use a gear puller to get it off and press it on to the housing but it just comes with a new housing with the bearing alright installed. Good don't have to worry about that now.

For oil I just went with GL-4 75w90 for both transmission (2.4L) and tcase (2.2L). My truck is pre 90 so it doesn't take ATF. Also for 10$ I got a fluid pump. Mine is back home but it isn't worth the hassle, I just got a new one.

Going to grab a 2x4 later and cut it up, I'm planning to use a bottle jack to support the engine, and then ill use the wheelie jack to wiggle the tranny out. I also might buy a 1/2 ratchet (only have 3/8th ratchet with a 1/2 adapter) And a couple 1/2 extension bits. And when this rain stops ill just into it. Fun time clutch time!

Definitely get a 1/2 inch ratchet, and a torque wrench if you can afford it. This isn't the place to fskc around lol. I bought like 4 feet worth of extensions from Princess auto for dirt cheap. You can probably use the stock jack to support the motor. To be honest I didn't even put a jack under the motor, woops.

Make sure to either machine the flywheel or get a new one!!

Torque wrench is a good idea! Last time I used an air gun and I snapped one of the 6 bolts holding on the pressure plate. Very stupid of me, but drove it for a year and a half no issues so can't complain just won't make that mistake twice. As for the flywheel, I'm too cheap and if it looks nice I'll leave it.

Hey guys, I have the tools, I have the parts, and I have a place to do it, looks like tomorrow I'll be starting at this beast. I have been looking around on the forum and I can't find a how to on trans removal/instal and clutch replacement. Just considering making a how to thread on this. What do you guys think? Or did I just not look hard enough.

Oh boy, well I crawled under the truck to get started by pre soaking the bolts and nuts and I came across this...

image-68.jpg

Yeah that's my transmission cross member passenger side...

Well clutch is now post poned until I can either find a welder to use or another truck. What do you guys think?

The tranny cross member is bolt on IIRC, so just replace it?

Hey guys, I have the tools, I have the parts, and I have a place to do it, looks like tomorrow I'll be starting at this beast. I have been looking around on the forum and I can't find a how to on trans removal/instal and clutch replacement. Just considering making a how to thread on this. What do you guys think? Or did I just not look hard enough.

I do not believe there is a write up for a Z24 and tranny. Do you not have at least a Chiltons or Hayes manual?

Doesn't the FSM have the proceedure for the Z24 as well?

B

I have a Haynes manual and it's the same write up for both engines. The nice difference is you dont have to remove the exhaust.

I think I'm going to jack up the truck and inspect it, check the rust spots out cause what I'm starting to think is 'if this happened, what else could go' maybe it's not worth it?