Hey all, How to question

befries

So we are having to do the rear main seal in my little brothers 89, we got the tranny out...... Took along time, biggest pain in the butt.... Got the clutch flywheel off, and now what? I've read we need to drop the oil pan as well? I'm just in need of direction lol, thanks in advance.

1997 Pathfinder

Sorry, no first hand on the RMS.

Have you guys downloaded the FSM from the pinned thread in the Garage section?

EM-23 shows removing seal retainer, replacing seal, and replacing seal retainer. No mention of oil pan...

B

Once the tranny's out you just carefully pry out the old seal. Multi-purpose grease on crank and new seal Then drive in the seal with a brass hammer or something like that. They make a tool just for the seals but who has one of those. Maker sure it goes in square and set it flush with the back of the seal plate. Then the fun part=put the tranny back in.

Is the seal going in your truck or your brothers? O.K. I got the wrong truck. I was thinking the'97 not the '89. You two are getting me confused.

Edited by kdj

pretty sure the seal only goes in one way, so make sure to pay attention to that.

This is from Nissanut's site when he did the VG33 swap, he gave me permission to re-post the pictures:

2ev46rr.jpg

b5o9rd.jpg

Seems right from the description...

I thought I checked and searched them all I'll go take a look.

1997 Pathfinder

The FSM I referenced was 1998, I'm sure it is the same.

B

^^^^

i just did this on my vg30 , but i think its the same on vg33. the seal comes out with the carrier. there was a lot rvt on everything and took gentle but persuasive prying with a flathead.

oil pan stayed put, just a rubber gasket on that lower rounded part.

Edited by stabworthy

• 2 weeks later...