r50 with manual hubs

thorpe991

did the r50s ever come stock with manual hubs a couple of weeks ago i went to my local jy and found a r50 with manual hubs that said nissan on them at least i think they did? (this r50 had lots of goodies on it ,brush guard, xterra roof rack , aftermarket rims)

i didnt get them as i didnt have the right size alan wrench to get it or snap ring pliers

so my ? is did the r50s ever come with manual hubs stock

Probably had factory locking nissan hubs from a v6 hardbody. r50's never came with manual hubs. only drive plates which make the cv shafts turn full time. Where the part time 4x4 comes into play. It is a gooooooood upgrade if you had worn cv shafts, mine were really bad and i couldnt afford to replace them both at the same time haha. and they vibrated bad.

Also, you'll see a very slight increase in mpg :)

so they are most likely stock ones from a wd21 that somebody put on the r50? and the hubs didnt have any marks such as warn, mile marker, or others just nissan

Nissan 28 spline oem manual locking hubswere an option on (I believe) 1994+ 4w4 Nissan pickups. Thats probably what they are since I think the r50 is still 28 splined front cvs right?

At any rate they are pretty rare and I would suggest grabbing them if you can get em for the right price!

Edited by Nefarious

No, the WD21s only came with the autolocking hubs and they will not fit on an R50, the spindle nose lacks 2 notches to align and secure the WD21 unit. I know, I tried it...

B

From what I can tell, if one was to put the notches in the spindle nose, the auto locking hubs would fit fine (not proven obviousy). This would be a nice option for replacing the drive flanges on the R50, getting the benefits of not spinning the front CVs 24/7 but retaining shifting on the fly ability, or at least not having to get out and lock, especially with how many cheap autohubs there are. Too bad the factory decided not to do 1 last machining step. :shrug:

B

• 1 month later...

so i went back about a week later and they were gone but there was another r50 with mile marker hubs i tried to take them off and broke my cheap t- handle multitool thing that takes bits so i was wondering what is the size hex wrench (cant think of the name) thing do i need? the cheap set i have doesent have sizes printed on the bits i plan on picking that size up as a socket style so i can use a ratchet

Assuming they're the same as the MMs I just put on my WD21, the bolts that hold the hub on are 6 mm. On mine you have to pull the face plates first, and they're are odd; the Allen wrench that came with them measures 3.55 mm.

Look for Allen sockets with a short shank on them, the long ones aren't made for the kind of torque it'll take to break the bolts free. I'm not surprised your T-handle couldn't do the job! Bring a breaker/cheater bar as well. Hopefully they come out quicker for you than my stock ones did.

One last thing on the 6mm hex socket:

While editing some video I took of the hub install, I noticed how much the long hex shaft was bending... and the chip that flew off at one point. :omg:

So, again, make sure you get the short ones, the long ones just aren't good for this. Use a stubby ratchet extender if you have to.

Yep i planed on using the stuby ones and on my buddys nissan truck (i think hardbody) to change his i used the t handel and had no issues so i thought i try it

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk

I GOT THEM :dance: im so happy but i have to get new tires for my other rims before i put them on cuz the ones i have on now and are my winter rims and they are old chevy truck rims with a 2" or mabey2.5" bore hole :/

Edited by thorpe991