having hard time getting brake fluid to rear drums on 1991 pathfinder

Captain_Crazy

I just changed the master cylinder. Got fluid to the front brakes, the FRONT driver side shoots like a 20 year old and the pass FRONT side like a 60 yr old, :laugh: LOL, I got the fluid to come out of the load thingy on right side of frame, but still got none at rear wheels? I started to try the gravity way I seen on youtube.

When i test drive it pulls like crazy to the left, because that's where the most fluid shoots strong when i bleed everything.

I'll see how it goes tomorrow :(

Edited by Captain_Crazy

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before installing it?

B

NO. But I had my wife bump while I released bleeder a few 100 times. I know it takes longer if not bleed, but shouldn't the fluid flow after a while.

Here's how this brake journey started. I bought this Pathfinder on the 2-18-14. a few days later the pedal shot to the floor and fluid got all over the front driver side wheel, next day i get the wheel off and the outer brake pad was missing :/ I was like WTF, did I buy it like this. I told my neighbor about it, he said a friend of his had a shoe come on on him while driving, and said he thought it was a pathfinder the guy had. Also i noticed the little weep hole on the master cyc was leaking days before the pad was gone, So I then went to the junk yard a got a master cyc and brake pads that still look really good. I'm gonna go screw with it some in a min. I'll let know how it goes.

Also I didn't bench bleed because I was thinking when you go to hook the lines back on it would get air in it anyways.?

Here's how this brake journey started. I bought this Pathfinder on the 2-18-14. a few days later the pedal shot to the floor and fluid got all over the front driver side wheel, next day i get the wheel off and the outer brake pad was missing :/ I was like WTF, did I buy it like this. I told my neighbor about it, he said a friend of his had a shoe come on on him while driving, and said he thought it was a pathfinder the guy had. Also i noticed the little weep hole on the master cyc was leaking days before the pad was gone, So I then went to the junk yard a got a master cyc and brake pads that still look really good. I'm gonna go screw with it some in a min. I'll let know how it goes.

Also I didn't bench bleed because I was thinking when you go to hook the lines back on it would get air in it anyways.?

I'm starting to think the master cyc i put on is junk. I unhooked the lines one at a time to pump the cyc on the fire wall, then bleed the air there, hook lines back on, wouldn't that be the same as a bench bleed/ after that I even had the wife pump brakes while I cracked the lines loose at the pump. I can only get the front left to work Real GOOD.

Eric the car guy youtube video got me thinkin the bleeder on the right is clogged, I'll check it tomorrow, as far as getting fluid to the rear, I'm thinkin there was never any that I've seen since I got the it.

My guy just replaced the MC on my sentra, it didn't come with the stuff to bench bleed it so he installed it and bled the lines at the master cylinder. He told me that any air that got in when the lines were removed would come out of the connections at the MC as it will take the path of lease resistance so to speak, basically he said the air would come out the loose connector on the MC instead of trying to push air thru the fluid in the lines.

My brake pedal feels fine and my car stops fine.

I have never heard of this being done before ( not bench bleeding the MC) but it seems to be OK, later on just out of my curiosity I may bleed the brakes the normal way.

HEY GUYS, can you do the bench bleed with the bleeding kit while it's in the truck with someone to pump the brakes?

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do this as long as you take it easy on the brake pedal, a lot more force generated by stepping on the pedal compared to pushing a rod or something into the MC on the bench.

I switched out the master cylinder today with another junkyard one, Got the brakes working again so i can drive it. NO CRAZY PULLING to the LEFT anymore... But, When installing it, I looked at the lines and noticed I was about to put the "middle" brake Brake line for the master cylinder to the front hole, Who ever had it last got the lines kinda floating around in the eng bay, the original plastic clips that keep them lined up are all missing.

I'm WONDERING IF I HAD THE LINES MIXED UP on the Other Cylinder I put in a few days ago. I'm Not Sure. I bled it like the youtube i posted above. But when trying to bleed the front hole that's for the rear brakes I couldn't get the fluid to flow, it was getting dark soon so i put it back together and test drove. I'll go back and try and bleed the rear in a day or so.

Edited by Captain_Crazy

Not on my pathy but I have seen on other vehicles where a metal clamp that holds flex brake lines actually started to rust and, as it did, constricted on the brake line and kept the fluid from flowing well. The problem was characterized by the brakes wearing badly and the vehicle pulling. The crimp point actually started to act like a 1-way valve. You could force fluid through and put pressure on the brakes but the pressure would not release when you took your foot off the pedal.