New from OREGON!

PitBullGirl23

Just traded my Subaru Legacy L for a Pathfinder SE. I love it! So do my Am Staffs! Just love all the info I get off of this site to work on her. She is s great car, I just wish I could get parts faster to make her run more gas efficiently! I love working on my own car, and feels great to actually know how! Thanks for having me!

welcome to the weird and wonderful world of the Pathfinder freak show!

If you've got car troubles or questions we'll do our best to help you out. then again some of us just hang out here and shoot the SH**.

We've all chased that unicorn (better mpg) here at one time or another most of us have just resigned ourselves to the fact that no matter how good the Pathy is at almost everything else, she is just thirsty.

• Like 2

I'm in the Valley, and mileage is double cruddy right now. I had to replace the coolant temp sensor, and need to replace the thermostat tomorrow. I don't mind the gas guzzle. It's better than my mom's V8 4-Runner that we drove back and forth between Montana and Seattle. I'm not sure on exact mileage because I haven't got to drive her much yet. Need to replace exhaust manifold, and the therm before I waste anymore gas lol.

Welcome to the circus. Glad you could join us. :welcome:

I spent some time in Oregon many moons ago, beautiful part of the country, and Portland is on my list of places to move to. Pics of your pathy would be wonderful if you get the chance. :happy:

I almost went the Subaru route before I bought my Pathy. I was camping the week before and someone in the Campground had an Outback, jacked up, snorkeled, the whole nine. It was sweet. Went home then hit Craigslist. Seen my Pathy already equipped with rack, brush guard, and mud tires for $900. So here I am in Pathy Land!!!!!

• Like 1

We've all chased that unicorn (better mpg) here at one time or another most of us have just resigned ourselves to the fact that no matter how good the Pathy is at almost everything else, she is just thirsty.

Yea, I have 2 vehicles, the Pathy and an Audi A4. My A4 gets about 37mpg. I drive an hour to work, 2 total, 6 days a week. I put the Audi in the garage and drive the Pathy. Over twice as much gas but I just love my wobbly,slow, rusty,smelly multicolored Pathfinder. My wife says I'm crazy, and she is right.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey All,

We just got our 1995 XE. I have a lot to learn, so I've been reading this forum for days!

I am concerned about the reports of poor gas mileage, so I'll also be researching what I can do to maximize mine, as well as making sure I have enough tranny lubrication. :blink: This is a purely recreational vehicle for us, and I'll be using it to get to the more remote wilderness areas for backpacking.

I had a 1992 Ford Ranger STX Extended Cab a while back and the 4WD never worked right. (Silly push-button activation...) Plus, one month after I made the last payment, all the engine seals needed to be replaced. I got rid of that truck as fast as I could.

I love my Pathy, and I think it's going to be very dependable. This forum seems to be filled with a real friendly bunch of folks, and I'm glad to have found it.

Kathy Pathy

Portland, OR

man if you're hating the mileage now, wait till you spend any *time* at all in 4 high for traction purposes, as in its a flooded out rain storm and you're on the highway driving, that would be a good time to pull over and shift into 4 high but you can almost see the needle move while your driving.

Mine gets around 17 city and maybe 18 - 19 highway in 2 Hi, so 4 hi cuts that down pretty bad. Gorgeous Pathy btw, I love your grille gaurd, I'm jealous..someone has taken good care of that truck, the paint looks perfect.

For your mileage all you can do is optimize the engine as much as possible: use good oil, if you can determine that your not leaking or burning any oil, I recommend Mobil 1 10 W30 Synthetic and Synthetic FILTER, they're more efficient and keep the oil clean and in better condition. Get a set of NGK spark plugs, either the V-power (most of us have this one) or one of the NGK iridium G-power, some people have that one too.

I also recommend opening up your air intake, I use a K&N drop in air filter, a cone filter would be even better but they honk a bit. You can open your exhaust with a high flow cat and free'r flow muffler, anything that lets the engine spin more easily will improve its efficiency i.e. high flow intake and exhaust, and the last thing would be the oxygen sensor (not really the last thing, there is some more but this is just a general starting point)..someone else will have to fill you in regarding how to tell if it's bad or not, but it does directly affect your air fuel mixture ratio and if it's gone bad, your engine will not be running as efficiently as it could.

Obviously you can't do all of this at once, it's a process over time, the more you live with your truck and pay attention to it, you'll see it slowly gets better with every little thing you do...it's like you kind of grow it...heh. I've had mine for 2.5 years and I'm still doing little stuff to it here and there.

Love the dogs, they look like sweet babies :)

Edited by gv280z
  • Like 1

Paint was wet lol. He had just washed it. Hood is a little faded. It has high miles (200,xxx) and I think it burns oil a little (I think), could be from leaky manifold maybe? It's a lot of little stuff I've gotta do, but I have no idea how to do most of it. The dogs are my riding buddies. P.s. Grille guard is my fave <3 mom has on on her 4 runner, hit a deer, only busted headlight lens. It's a must have

Put on deer whistles, they really do work. I even have them on my motorcycles, after I killed a deer with one on the freeway...

B

Oh, wait, your dogs will hate them, they can hear them...

• Like 1

Put on deer whistles, they really do work. I even have them on my motorcycles, after I killed a deer with one on the freeway...

B

Oh, wait, your dogs will hate them, they can hear them...

Haha, my Lab never seemed to notice them. Plus my music is so loud that they couldnt hear it anyways. xD

Ahh, well then... :D

That is how I know they work, aside from hardly ever seeing a deer much less almost hitting one since I put them on; dogs in cars are fine at a stoplight, but when we take off and hit 20-25 MPH, the dogs start freaking out. I'm sure their owners wonder what the hell is going on or just think they don't like motorcycles... :lol:

B

• Like 1