R50 Owner from Australia

SMOKEYR50

Hey guys,

Australian member, but lots of good info here so wanted to be part of the forum.

Have had my Pathy .aka Nissan 'Pubfinder' for coming up to a year. Bought it as a second car/daily driver - but loved it so much that I got rid of my other car and just kept this.

Bought it stock as a rock from a deceased estate. Have done quite a few mods so far.

Current project is rebuilding a set of 3-piece wheels i bought in from Japan and fitting some 32"s

Will put together a build thread when I get around to it but here is a before photo and how it sits at the moment....

IMG_1588_zps8f460ee5.jpg

colourcodedbar_zps5cbebfe3.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

here is a quick mod list:

Engine
- Impco LPG
- NGK Iridium plugs
- Top Gun 7.0mm leads

Suspension & Driveline
- Ultimate extended Shocks
- Tough Dog 40mm Springs
- 35mm Snake Racing strut spacers (front)
- Poly Air 1000 bags rear
- 2 x Camber bolts
- Warn 29091 Premium Locking Hubs
- B&M Transmission cooler

Stereo
- Pioneer XVH2450BT
- Alpine PDX V9 under the boot floor
- Infinity CS60.9 splits
- Alpine Type-R 12” Subwoofer
- Reverse Camera
- Dynamat on front doors, boot, tailgate
- Digital volt meter

Lighting
- Bi-Xenon projector retrofit (5000k HIDs)
- White LEDs outside and in
- Blue LEDs in dash and climate control
- Clear side indicators
- 32" LED Bar (mounted to roof)
- 25" LED Bar (mounted to bullbar)
- LED Aux reverse lights

Other
- Blackvue DR400GHD Dash Camera
- John55 Stainles Steel bashplate
- Cat Racing 1000cca 90ah battery
- Stebel Nautilus air horn
- ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded)
- Rhino Xtray
- Milford Cargo Barrier
- Rubber boot mat

Futre/Wishlist
- 265/75/16 Kankook Dynapro RT03
- UGME 80Ch UHF

And here are the wheels I've been working on. I'ts been about two months of splitting them, stripping them back to bare metal and hours of paint and polishing, but I am getting close to assembly:

ff7de9865006f4702b7b4c6a76ec6f45_zps7bcd

Very nice, I especially like the bull bar and LED light bar. :aok:

You have too much parience with the rims though, but they will look nice. I once spent 2 days reconditioning a set of aluminum rims, that equates to a lot of $ if I just work the hours spent... ;)

Thanks for the intro and welcome to NPORA. :beer:

Oh, what engine do you have in that?

B

Thanks mate - I am about as OCD as it gets when it comes to my vehicles - so jobs like this always take a long time....

i love the LED light bars - the light they throw is just phenomenal.

As for engine, in Oz we only had the VG33e available. It's a good reliable donk, thirsty and slow, but bulletproof. Wish we had the VQ35DE.....it's a screamer of a motor, but luckily enough my Skyline has one so it's a case of best of both worlds!

Thanks mate - I am about as OCD as it gets when it comes to my vehicles - so jobs like this always take a long time....

i love the LED light bars - the light they throw is just phenomenal.

As for engine, in Oz we only had the VG33e available. It's a good reliable donk, thirsty and slow, but bulletproof. Wish we had the VQ35DE.....it's a screamer of a motor, but luckily enough my Skyline has one so it's a case of best of both worlds!

More like never ends... ;)

I'd love to see pictures, I'm always up for upgrades.

Nothing wrong with the VG33e, we own one as well. I'm curious about the LPG retrofit though... Not sure if it is smog legal here, but I'd love to hook up an option myself. Is there info or a link you can post?

People tend to forget that gasoline runs out a lot faster than LPG in disaster situations, not to menton the increased range provided by a dual system... ;)

B

Thanks fellas,

Dual-fual 4x4s are pretty common here in Australia. Mostly because the cost of LPG is cheap (because we've got more of it underground than we know what to do with), and the cost of petrol is relatively expensive (compared to you guys, definitely). LPG costs roughly half the price of petrol at the pump.

There are two systems available, a mixer setup which is effectively like a more advanced carburetter that sits in the intake pipe and throws a measured amount of LPG down the throat of the throttle body - or injected systems which are exactly as they sound - 6 individual injectors that dump LPG into the manifold itself. The direct injection systems are about on par with petrol for economy, and sometimes even gains power. Mixer setups are pretty old tech and can cause a loss in torque and generally use a lot more L/100km....or achieve less MPG for you guys. The car starts on petrol until it's warm, and then switches to LPG automatically.

All in all, it costs me roughly half as much to fill a tank of LPG vs Petrol, and I get roughly 75% the distance out of a tank of LPG vs Petrol.

As for smog legal, LPG actually burns a lot cleaner than petrol/diesel. All our taxis run on it in Australia for this reason.

Of course, as you said, there is the benefit of having dual-fuel - so you can extend your range significantly. The downside is added weight of the tank (65L) and the tank sits under the rear of the car where the spare wheel goes so you need to move your wheel into the boot (trunk) area or put it on a carrier/roof rack.

Edited by SMOKEYR50
  • Like 1

i'm not sure I'm reading this right....You can have both LPG and Petrol? can you switch from one to the other? so for every 100km on Petrol you can get 75km on LPG? That would suggest I could get almost 1000km range if I was running both types of fuel.

If I'm not out to lunch here why don'twe have this in North America....I guess "they" just like taking our money.

btw..whats the cost of petrol down there these days? I just paid $1.12/L with a .10 cent rebate coupon.

Yep, correct.

I have a switch that I can select for it to run 100% on petrol, or 100% on LPG. It can be changed on the fly.

Combined range would be about 1000kms as you suggested.

Petrol at the moment is about $1.65-$1.70 for just basic fuel, more for higher octane etc. LPG is about $0.85.

It is possible to do in the US. And you are correct as to the gas companies trying to suppress it and keep it out. Unfortunately they have to much pull in our government. But that's getting to political. Our best bet is to try to see if there is a distributor in the UA for those systems.

SmokeyR50 if you could pass on the kit name if there is one. Or which company sells them over there m

Sent from my Moto X

as fuel prices continue to rise, I'd be interested to see what the start up cost for something like this would be, seeing as I'd like to keep my truck for as long as possible. Investment over a length of time sometimes works out in your favour.

And would this be a DIY install or would I need to find a pro.

Thanks fellas,

Dual-fual 4x4s are pretty common here in Australia. Mostly because the cost of LPG is cheap (because we've got more of it underground than we know what to do with), and the cost of petrol is relatively expensive (compared to you guys, definitely). LPG costs roughly half the price of petrol at the pump.

There are two systems available, a mixer setup which is effectively like a more advanced carburetter that sits in the intake pipe and throws a measured amount of LPG down the throat of the throttle body - or injected systems which are exactly as they sound - 6 individual injectors that dump LPG into the manifold itself. The direct injection systems are about on par with petrol for economy, and sometimes even gains power. Mixer setups are pretty old tech and can cause a loss in torque and generally use a lot more L/100km....or achieve less MPG for you guys. The car starts on petrol until it's warm, and then switches to LPG automatically.

All in all, it costs me roughly half as much to fill a tank of LPG vs Petrol, and I get roughly 75% the distance out of a tank of LPG vs Petrol.

As for smog legal, LPG actually burns a lot cleaner than petrol/diesel. All our taxis run on it in Australia for this reason.

Of course, as you said, there is the benefit of having dual-fuel - so you can extend your range significantly. The downside is added weight of the tank (65L) and the tank sits under the rear of the car where the spare wheel goes so you need to move your wheel into the boot (trunk) area or put it on a carrier/roof rack.

Yes, and South America as well IIRC. LPG here is roughly the same price as gasoline, about $3.5/gal right now, but the added versatility and flexability makes it attractive to me.

I am only familiar with the old tech, so I should start doing some research on what is required, still assuming it is legal in my area. California has some strange laws... :shrug:

We have 2 pathfinders, and I would consider this modification for the old one...

016.jpg

There is rear tire carrier and a bit of room underneath the rear seats. I'd like to see if a standard 5 gallon (19 liter) tank would fit on either side. That would be useful as you could remove them at will, and we have places that sell prefilled tanks everywhere. Nothing like running the gas grill and the truck off of the same source... ;)

B

• 7 months later...