What Does This Button Do?

mikestewart395

Wow, sweet..I could have used this a few times. My car pre-pathy never needed to press the clutch in to start it. Warming up the Pathy in the morning before work and having to climb in and clutch/start, jump out, etc. Reaching in the window will be easier, lol. Thanks

+10 HP!!

I never understood it, you can press the brake and clutch in almost any situation, then brake to gas while modulating the clutch. :shrug:

B

To me the only advantage of having the interlock switch is being able to crawl over obstacles without lugging the engine or causing unneeded wear on the clutch.

You kill you engine a lot when crawling?

B

I have an automatic, so no I do not.

It's not a matter of killing the engine while wheeling. It's being able to spin the engine at low RPM while still having the transmission directly connected to the engine. Too much rpm can cause a tire to just slip and spin, where doing something at a lower RPM can be just what you needed to get over the minivan sized boulder.

Why put a second transfer case in a rock crawler? Because then engine RPM's can stay high while wheel speed stays low.

Edited by silverton

We are talking about a clutch switch, meaning the ignition will not respond unless it the clutch pedal is depressed, ie. safety starting. The clutch in my first Pathy worked exactly this way.

What does this have to do with low RPM? It only applies when you are starting the engine.

Yeah, lower gears/wrok krawler/etc but that applies how?

B

Right, and the interlock switch bypasses that safety so the truck can be started in gear. A starter is only going to spin the engine at around 200rpm, whereas if you try and use the clutch to obtain that RPM while the engine is running you're going to lug it so hard the pistons slap.

Essentially, a built in crawler feature.

He's asking what the switch does, and I'm telling him the intended use of it.

Right, and the interlock switch bypasses that safety so the truck can be started in gear. A starter is only going to spin the engine at around 200rpm, whereas if you try and use the clutch to obtain that RPM while the engine is running you're going to lug it so hard the pistons slap.

Essentially, a built in crawler feature.

He's asking what the switch does, and I'm telling him the intended use of it.

So you are saying the reason the reason for the switch is to use the starter to provide locomotion when the RPM would be too low? That is the intended use?

Just remove the engine and add batteries then, the perfect wrok krawler!

:doh:

Its useful for when your truck doesn't run and you need to move it around the driveway, or drive it around the block.

Yep, I have pulled mine into the driveway that way before, a total of 30 feet. A come-a-long does the same job, just slower; I doubt that was their intent.

B

You warm up your truck in the morning? Don't you live in Florida.

Yes I warm it up. When it cold starts and the RPM's are not leveled I don't believe in racing off in it. I let the fluids balance out before I drive off. I am a firm believer this gives your engine a longer life. My dad rebuilt engines for classic cars for 40 years, it was a crime against humanity if he didn't let the engine warm up. I'm not talking about a 30 min warmup, just a crank, go put my shoes on, grab my coffee, then jump in.

So you are saying the reason the reason for the switch is to use the starter to provide locomotion when the RPM would be too low? That is the intended use?

B

Says the guy who doesn't wheel his truck.

What's the reason for the switch then? Why would Nissan include something to bypass an obvious safety feature? So that curious blokes would use it and take themselves out via natural selection?

Might help with a remote start feature as well? :shrug:

Those systems are wired to bypass a starter safety if equipped, which is why it's imperative if you have one, you leave it out of gear when you plan to use it.

At -20F I scrape off the ice, hop in, start it and go. 320,000 kms so far. I've never used a block heater either. Different habits I guess, my father would have kicked my ass if saw me idleing in the driveway for no reason.

It's actually kind of in between what silverton and precise were discussing. If you stall the engine in a climb, and rolling backwards while going from brake to gas would put you in a worse situation. You can use the bypass. Left foot on brake, right on the gas, bump the ignition and give it a little gas, off you go. However in 7 years of wheeling mine I never once needed it. Did try a few times just for novelty.

Better for an engine to warm up as fast as possible so it runs leaner sooner and doesn't build up overly rich deposits. Just long enough for the oil to circulate is fine.

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1

if you remove the engine you can remove the cat too ! :ph33r:

Brilliant! :clap:

Says the guy who doesn't wheel his truck.

What's the reason for the switch then? Why would Nissan include something to bypass an obvious safety feature? So that curious blokes would use it and take themselves out via natural selection?

That has what bearing? You were still sheitting your pants when I was wheeling... :rolleyes:

I don't know the reason for it, I just know I never had any use for it and I'll bet it wasn't to use your starter as Wrok Krawler drive either.

B