Body lift install time

Mr. Pickles

Jim had his fabricated (and I believe welded up) by his neighbor. I think I'm gonna be able to make it work using all the extra nuts and bolts. Everybody else seems to end up with a fair amout too. While doing so, I'm gonna look at scrapping my Pilot driving lights in favor of fabbing up some sort of mount for my Hella's. Then I'll move the Pilots to the rear to replace my cheap P.O.S. back-up lights down under the bumper by the reciever hitch. :)

WTF Does anyone own a hand grinder?

Im gonna just grind off the old bodyboltsnuts on mine!

Forget the idea of greasing an old bolt down mang... Chop it...

Well we will se what im up for LOL :hide:

Mines next im doing loads of pictures on mine its gonna be the start oh shizit i gotta go get the kit now!...

Then the welding begins front back bumpers and a yakima copy roofrack...

saw this last night and i was stoked...

oh yeahhhhhhh :bow:

post-9-1107578426.jpg

Edited by 87mudfinder

I've got a grinder with cut off wheels too. But I wouldn't get too chop happy, as the mounts rest right up next to rubber body isolators and such. If you slip, they're expensive. I've got one coming for the busted mount in back, and its like $38. But its worth my time vs driving all the way out to the boneyard. Give the bolts a try first, then really aren't bad at all to remove. I'm just suggesting making them effortless.

Hmmmm this may make things more time consuming dammit... I start a new job on monday this needs to be done tomorrow... Well i will have to break out the expensive drill bits... I will just blow out the middle of each bolt.. Im wondering how tight it is underneath. I really have not gone under it too much...

Thanks for this post pickels its enlightened me on what im about to do.

No prob. Honestly, its not that bad of a project at all, just that my 1 frozen mount and busted bolt screwed me. If it all goes smoothly, and you have a spare set of hands to help, I bet you could do it in 1 very long day. As it is, I have probably 2-2 1/2 full days invested if you take away a break here and there, and trips out and about looking for tools for that stupid bolt and such. But I've done the whole thing, begining to end, all by myself. Its been a great experience really, and I feel satisfied. Good luck on your toys!

I love the look of the og bumper especially the chromer and they are not to be found in vancouver on the autowrecker lots. I have looked and looked... Thus welding a beefcake bumper is my only option..

They're actually crap, so don't worry about it. My old one was very rusty in back and started to rust through on the end caps, but the truck was wrecked in Jan. so the whole bumper was replaed with some P.O.S. made in Taiwan job, which already has some visible rust on the chrome after only 1 year.. I have it sitting in the livingroom now, and I just hope it will last a bit.

Edited by Mr. Pickles

Progress report time!

I just finished getting the steering shaft back in, and went for a test drive. Took her to a parking lot down the street and tested her out. After much testing and checking for leaks, issues, etc. I did some hard braking, turning in circles and driving in "S" shapes just to see what would happen. I can shift to all gears fine, and can shift the all transfer case in positions, without notching the floor. However, I'm going to need to source a Hardbody tcase shifter cause the boot is squished down around it and makes it hard to shift. I think I may even like the shifter position down lower like it is, as it reminds me more of a sports car position now that its 3" down vs. a truck shifter. So, all is great... except...

1) Looks like I put the shaft back on 1 spline off. No biggie. -thnkboutit-

2) Steering is great until I hit the brakes, then I get binding in the steering, both while rolling and while stopped. Once I noticed it, I didn't put myself in that position till I hear from you all. Any ideas what's up there? Its only while hitting the brakes, every other scenario is fine. Maybe giving more slack (or less) to the steering shaft by loosening the splines? I dunno.

Other than that, everything else seems to check out. I came back home, and kept it running for a while while I cycled the steering and did a bunch of pumping the brakes, etc. Just making sure something didn't get tweaked or come loose. All checks out other than that steering issue. So, other than the binding, I've just gotta hook up the fog lights and re-mount the hitch.

Lotsa work there, MrP ! Seems I read in a post either here or possibly one of the other Nissan boards that you can do some cutting inside of the boot to do away with the "hard shifting".

Good luck on the binding...

post-9-1108096226.gif

Edited by hardwaretoad

Ta-da. I like the stance even though there's a lot of fender clearance. I think I'm gonna look at 31x11.5 Kumho M/T's when I retire these BFG's, just go wider but not any taller, either spring or summer. That way they'll be beefier, I've got the clearance for what I want to do, and I'll maintain the mileage as I take this truck on some pretty long hauls on camping trips all summer, hundreds of miles at a time.

post-9-1108445931.jpg

Edited by Mr. Pickles

I didn't have to notch the floor, but I'm gonna need to either get a hardbody transfer case shifter, a new and smaller boot, or a combo of both. I can shift just fine, bit you really have to push that boot to get it to 4L, and the boot on the tranny shifter sits way up and is mushy feeling, slowing the movement down. Oh well...

post-9-1108446132.jpg

Go with 32x11.5's instead. You won't regret it.

I know, I'm stuck between the 2. If they had 32x12.5's... hmmm... :D Don't know if that would even fit, but still. What do you think the loss of mileage would be only jumping up 1 " in diameter? I'm barely content with the power as it is, and I'd be bummed if I lost much pull as well as mileage with the swap. On another annoying but sweet note, I've got the start of another manifold leak, although this time its not at the head but below. I showed it to the GF and told her how it would be a much better idea to just swap to headers, since she remembers me cussing up a storm while paying the bill for the manifold repair 2 years ago. :contract:

Nice job Mr. P !! I cant help ya with the binding though... :shrug:

Well, I was going to keep the Pathy pretty stock; until I hit the post.... While it should be fine, a little more hacking, fabbing, pounding is reasonable since it has started already... I'm probably keeping it for life (it's hopefully) so I am starting to think about mods.... We'll see. Congrats on the nice rig !!

Bernard

Looks great!!

How did you end up getting around that rear bolt that was stuck?

Heh heh heh... its called I'm fed up with it, I'm handing the mechanic the parts, and having him call me when its done. :) He checked it out this afternoon after I limped the old girl over to his shop, and said it should be no biggie. Good deal, as he's got many years in body work and general shop, including 15 years as shop manager at a local F*rd dealer. So... after that, I'm good to go. Works for me. All in all, its been an experience for sure. I thought I knew the truck pretty well, but now other than physically inside the engine, I've seen just about every angle there is to see. Now I'm ready to play. Although, soon to come are ball joints, tie rod ends, some front shocks, hopefully a set of headers... P...