Alternator or Batt. Warning Light?

mikestewart395

My charging system took a poop a couple of days ago.

When I crank it, it will not charge batt. While it is running if I disconnect the battery ground it will shut off. I was going to replace the alt which is only a couple years old, but seen something online where they said some old vehicles have a regulator or something that runs through the Batt light in the dash, if the light bulb blows the alt will not work properly. Turning my key on before ignition all lights but the batt light comes on. Does the bulb thing apply to my 88 Pathy?

Alternator=generator and voltage regulator combined.

You are thinking of the old school generator with a voltage regulator mounted elsewhere, which does not apply in this case.

I don't think an American car has been made with the old generator/VR system since the early 70's...

I'd say changing the alternator is the right thing to do (assuming all wires, cables, connections are in good order).

Do you have any need for more amps than stock? There are a few options...

B

Sounds like alternator. I'm on my 2nd alternator in 18 months. The alternator is not making power so the truck is running off the battery. That's why it died when you unhooked cable. Research upgrading alternator for more amps. I went from 70 amp to a 90 amp Maxima alternator and it's actually cheaper than the stock replacement

Sweet, thanks Caddy, I will order one for the Maxima. Same year as my Pathy when ordering?

Yea, I was just wondering, since I seen the video about the blown bulb, just so happens my bulb is bad. I didn't want to blow $75 if it was something else.

Awesome. I will buy one next week, thanks a lot for the info. The extra amps will come in handy, I drive with headlights and fog lights on any time I'm in the vehicle. It's just a safety thing, I'm in Florida with all the old people (no offense) that can't see unless they are right up on you. That's probably why mine burnt out so fast.

Aftermarket parts are being built worse every year it seems. I sound like my dad " stuff doesn't last like it used to"

We live in a society now that when something breaks, we throw it away and buy a new one! A friend of mine had a Samsung TV for a year and it died. They sent her a check for the amount she paid for it so that she could buy a new one, instead of dealing with the hassle of shipping the TV to replace a $30 part.

but seen something online where they said some old vehicles have a regulator or something that runs through the Batt light in the dash

I know what you are referring to there, but no this would not/should not cause problems with the alternators function. I agree with everyone else in that the likely problem is the alternator it self.

Regarding the in dash regulator you read about, see the first topic in 88's post (first post) in Pathfinder Common Problems/Fixes, Read this first!