thermostat to cold?

joshboy22

I have a 92 Nissan Pathfinder and I live in northern Alberta it seems like my engine is not getting warm. The temperature gauge only goes up to about a quarter and stays there. And when I start driving over 60 kph it will cool the engine down enough that the defroster cannot keep up with the cold.... it is -25 or colder when this happens. would this have to do with my thermostat or will it be my heater?

I was just having the same problem with that temperature range when we went into a deep freeze.

I have an 170 deg thermostat and unless you do something to block up the front end, particularly by the fan, the engine is going to have a tough time staying warm. I keep a piece of cardboard with me now for when it gets cold and slip it in between the radiator and the fan then take it out when it gets warm like it is now. Also wouldn't hurt to check your overflow bottle and make sure its topped up.

Mine never goes over 1/4. Driving in the winter though my blower still blows hot air, even on the highway. I'm pretty sure its just too cold of a thermo for winter. I'll know when it gets warmer around my parts though he he.

Doesn't sound like a Thermostat stuck open to me. Mine sits at 1/4 all the time, and will cool at high speed when its really cold. I KNOW mine is good. when its 0 or in the negatives, It wont hold temp at idle.

170F stat, relatively new heat doesnt work worth a damn.

Now my dad's hardbody? that has a bad stat, doesnt even make it 1/8th.

I need to go to a 180 just simply for the heat, but its pricey since I have to have a shop do it.

Mike

I use a hotter thermostat.170 is pretty low, engines run more efficient at a little higher temperature. I use a 180 degree in mine and that works great. Just over 1/3 on the gauge now and the engine runs smooth as glass. Expect a slight mileage increase if your engine is otherwise healthy. I noticed one.

Edited by Nefarious

I've learned to only use a Nissan thermostat. The aftermarket ones seem to fail at an alarming rate on any Nissan I've come in contact with. $20 and they'll last another 25 years.