pipe with a sudden stop.

Koolbananass

hi

I got this 91 nissan terrano 2.7l turbo diesel a few weeks ago, while a friend came over he noticed a pipe that isn't connected to anything, the pipe appearce to come from under the truck comes up in the engine bay goes to the top and across on the fire wall to the passenger side and stops just above the air intake manifold, I have looked around but can't seem to find the other end to this pipe

any help would be appreciated

I will try and upload a photo once I figure it out

thanks

Mike

there was/is nothing else connected to it, as far as I got it appearce to come from somewhere below the rig and it just stops there. I will try and got another photo soon. the 2 pips above it got to and from the fuel filter. the black rubber pipe is behind it. the pipe im interested in finding what it does is marked in yellow

I know which one you are asking about, I'm not familiar with the Diesel engines I was just saying possibly what ever connected to the end of that pipe was something below it as that connector in the heater hose does not look factory, possibly something was removed before you owned the truck.

You can not follow the pipe down to see where it goes?

I can have a look, I have been to busy at work to take the time to climb underneath the car to check were it goes, plus I might have to wait till I go past my in laws place on wed as I live on a hill and playing underneath a car parked on a hill even with chocked wheels is something I don't do.

so I was just hoping someone could tell me with the picture.

Yea the heater pipe connection doesn't look like a factory item.

I had a little spare time in my lunch break, couldn't follow it all the way yet as I am in the work uniform and the ground is dirty but got some more photos of the pipe running through the engine bay this might help identify it more easier

it seems to come away from the fire wall then run down get closer to the fire wall run underneath the stearing column/rod go in to a rubber hose then connect to the chassis then go back to metal pipe and disappear

follow the yellow points, hope they are big enough to be seen

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Pic shows up too small (on current computer) to know for sure, but I'm 95% sure its the transfer/gearbox/front diff breather pipe. Try tracing pipe see if it goes down drivers (RH) side, where you'll easily see it underneath coming from transfer case,

could be transfer case/transmission breather but it runs from the fire wall down and to the rear,

I traced it back till it disappearce between the body and chassis i can see it as far as mid of front doors,

I'll have to wait till either wed (couple days) or if its light enough when I finish work,

if its a breather I would have though it would stay at the highest point and not point down again

Nissan uses metal lines inside the frame rails until close to the differentials, then they used rubber hoses to connect to the differentials. The front and rear diff breather hoses meet up into one and then are routed up under the hood in the engine bay. This allows you to drive through water up to your hood before your differentials are flooded.

It may be, but when you get a chance you should try to follow it to see where it goes.

I noticed in a pic under the hood on my 94 PF their is a metal tube that looks the same size as the one you are asking about, it's running the opposite way as my PF is left hand drive, but I can't see where it goes once it runs behind a hose, I'm looking at it in a picture as the PF is not home right now.

tomorrow when I am at my inlaws place I'll have a look and trace that pipe to were its coming from while i'm already under the car temp liquid steel fixing the hole in the exhaust that was bushi fixed with a patch & tek screws by the previous owner. putting money aside to fit a new 2.5 inch exhaust

That's your pressure check valve from the tank. if that's what the line goes to, it should go to the carbon canister. Basically the gas in the tank expands with heat and the vapor has to go somewhere, so it goes out that line, and the carbon makes it smell less. The check valve closes if you roll the truck so that the fuel doesn't leak into the engine bay through the line.

At least that's how it works on the gas model, the diesel might be different.

Finally had a chance to go out and look under the hood of my PF, of course under the hood is opposite as yours as this is LHD and a gas engine but I found a tube that looks like yours end it also just ends as yours does, this one comes up from underneath and I can see where another tube "tee's" into it, I guess from the front diff and rear diff, it ends just below and behind the cruise control actuator, pic below, pipe marked in yellow line:

2ds1xjl.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

I wonder if this is something for venting pressure out of the transmission and the whole point to the length of it is just so the tranny wouldn't be taking in water because of the pipe, so they raised it waaay up and then pointed it down. It's a blow-off riser that won't take on water. I dunno.