Dash Swap

93_ditchfindah

So you decided to ignore my warning and are trying to do the swap anyway huh?

Be ready to be doing this for days on end.
me-working-001.jpg

And make sure you grab ALL of the the metal brackets that hold the center of the dash and the sides with the new dash. They aren't the same even though they look like it. You might want to grab that bar that holds the steering column too. I forget if that's different but better safe than sorry.

Remember all the cruse control stuff is on the newer steering column and there are a few controls in the center console that are normally on the old dash too.

I really don't want to laugh at your pain but I guarantee that you will be hating life soon and wishing you never tried doing this. lol

I was going to do a video write up of how to do this but it was a &^%*ing nightmare and it's still not at 100% in my truck. My warning was just a minor scratch in the surface of how bad of an idea this really is.

• 3 weeks later...

hahaha i had to but luckily i actually have both years. the 94 with a rotted frame and the 93 with a junk stabbed to death dash (previous owner obviously wasnt all there) and so far its been ALLOT easier than i had expected. i also replaced my blower mototr while i was under there too. i found another site (infamousnissan.com) and they have allot more on the dash swap.

Yep, would not be looking at changing anything except switching a dash cover piece that has some tears/cracks with one that has no flaws.

Was assuming there would just be some mounts, etc., to be dealt with but thought I should see whether (as is often the case) it gets more complicated than that.

na bud pretty straight forward haha. before you get all pissed ill give ya a hint... theres 4 bolts under the defroster covers. i believe they were all 12mm. while your in there might as well swap in a new radio head unit! my round dash swap has been SO FAR pretty easy. i just have no patience. for the dipsh!t owner before me. i had to rewire everydamn thing in the truck so far. and today.....my starter crapped the bed....i cant win for losing.

No idea on replacing the dash pad on the PF but I did it on my sentra and found I had to completely take the dash out as there are screws that hold the dash pad on that go into it from the bottom, no way at all to remove them with out pulling the whole dash, When I did the dash pad on my car it took a while but it wasn't hard, I have pics of it LOL

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was looking into this as the truck I may be getting is a 93, no cruise to deal with so one less headache but from what I have been reading, one guy that did the swap said he was matching up the wires based on a guide someone else wrote than realized the wire colors were the same from the old harness to the round style harness, the one thing they say you have to do is to install the electronic speed sensor and run new wires from it to the back of the round gauge cluster.

I have been looking into if it's possible to swap the whole instrument cluster harness from the SMJ ( Super Multiple Junction).

I have noticed in the service manuals that the round dash trucks with the KA24E engine use one style plug at the SMJ while the V6 trucks use a totally different plug. I want to hit the junkyard when my knee gets better to investigate this further.

I have read that some late built 93's had come with the round dash, if this is in fact true than I can not see Nissan making a whole new harness for the round cluster when they could have just made a new instrument cluster harness to work with the square dash SMJ to go to the newer style cluster.

I found something similiar when I wanted to add the tach cluster into my sentra that did not have one, all the forums had lengthy write ups on how you get the new tach cluster and cut the plugs off so you can splice the plugs onto your existing harness, I happen to have discovered back than that Nissan had 2 harnesses for the two clusters, and seeing that, I pulled a tach cluster out of a car at the junkyard along with the harness, took 10 minutes, when I got home that morning, I removed my non tach cluster and harness, put the new harness in the car and plugged in the tach cluster, turned the key on, gauge cluster came on, started it, tach was working, the whole thing worked perfect, no cutting, no splicing, no figuring wires out.

I'm hoping I can get lucky and swapping the harness from a KA24 truck with the round dash into a square dash truck will work.

I haven't found any one who has tried this yet. Per the FSM, the KA24E gauge cluster harness plug from the round dash looks the same as the plug for the KA24E cluster in the square dash trucks.

Edited by ahardb0dy

This is what I'm basing my "theory" on:

1990 FSM truck, instrument harness has square plug for the KA, rectangle for the VG

2ag416r.jpg

1994 FSM truck, instrument harness diagram showing different plugs for KA (square) and plug for VG (rectangle):

j8jolk.jpg

So if the round dash 94 with the KA engine uses the square plug same as the 90 KA plug maybe it's possible to just swap the harness ???

Edited by ahardb0dy

I'd take a look at the wires to be sure they're in the same places, but even if they're not, moving the pins around would be a lot easier than cutting wires.

When I put a square-dash style hazard rocker in my 95, the plug was the same, and the color codes were the same, but the wires were in different places on the plug. I think that came down to the different construction of the two switches, though; hopefully Nissan didn't see a reason to change the SMJ pinout.

I want to look into it when I my knee is better and I can go to the junkyard, for now, I can live with the square dash. I need to get a 93 service manual so I can compare the wiring, I have manuals from 89 & 90 than they skip to 94, should be the same but want to be sure.

Was just comparing the pin numbers on the SMJ from the 90 gauge harness and a 95 and the same number pin had the same color wire on each of the two years I looked at and on both SMJ's the pins were in the same location,

• 3 months later...

After many months of reading I found 3 peole off o infamousnissan.com .

THIS ONLY PERTAINS TO THE 93 SQUARE DASH.

While asking question I had learnt that the swap was the easiest from a 93 to a round dash. Pre 93 you have to worry about pin locations AND wiring colors. With a 93 it is PLUG AND PLAY!!Strip all the wires from the new cluster(94+) and all the existing wires from your old square cluster. Match the colors up... and BANG. every gauge works EXCEPT the speedometer. Going from a 93 with a speedo cable, the 94 cluster is an electric driven speedometer. You need to buy a vehicle speed sensor out of a pathfinder. 94 or 95.(ex. You have a 93 5 speed, buy a speed sensor for a 95 5 speed) if you need any help with this swap feel free to post on here or private message me. IT DOES NOT TAKE A BRAIN SURGEON.If you jave time and patience you can do this mod and it makes your interior look 100% better