I hope I ran out of gas.

rwd5021

I THINK I ran out of gas on my way home Saturday night. How dumb does that sound haha. It sputtered a bit and then shut off, the dash and headlights stayed on so I don't think it was an electrical problem. So I assume the empty light burnt out, that's my best guess at least. My only other thought was possibly the water pump, but the temp. was normal so I don't think that's it. Luckily I rolled to a stop right at my exit so I just got ready to walk to the gas station. The weird thing is, before I got out, I turned the key and it started up right away. So I got off the freeway and drove another 2 miles home after that with no problems. I walked to the store yesterday and got $5 worth of gas, put it in the tank, and she started like normal. So I guess that was the issue, it just seems very strange that it would die and then turn on right after....

My questions:

1. Has this or something similar ever happened to you?

2. Is it possible for the truck to shut off on the highway and still somehow have enough gas to turn back on and drive 2 miles after that at lower speeds?

3. Am I correct in thinking that it would overheat first if it was a water pump problem, rather than the engine just dying?

4. Any other ideas?

It almost sounds like you need to change your fuel filter. It is an easy and cheap fix. The filter gets clogged up and starves the engine when you press the throttle. The engine would definitely overheat if the water pump went out (not to mention that you would have serious issues if the engine quit due to high temps). Let the others chime in but, I'm voting old fuel filter. :aok:

• Like 1

This use to happen to me with my gmc what the problem was is that the ground wire on my sending unit was broke about 1/4 of the way across the wire and it would run fine for a while but if it would randomly stop working and then it would just magically start working again so I would check that and if you changed the sending unit recently check and make sure it is plugged in all the way that happens to me to. When I replaced the broken one

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

• Like 1

have you taken it to a gas station to fill it up to see if you are indeed empty? If it takes ~15 gallons after your five, then its a save bet. Plus remember, running out of fuel can burn up your fuel pump. It uses the fuel to keep cool.

• Like 1

Thank you guys for all the responses, filled it up with gas today and all is well so far. I guess the bulb just went out, so no more running the car50 on fumes. I'm gonna get a new fuel filter later just incase and if I have more problems I now have a couple ideas on things to check.

My low light works sometimes. But I have only pushed it that far maybe 4 times.

Either way, I think my sending unit is all wonky. The needle can be on the E, no light. Go to fill it up and only takes 16.5 gallons. Where in theory should be closer to 20.

• Like 1

My pathy fuel light worked fine, it gave me 50k warning (should be correct) but hardbody :lol: well lets say I ran out of gas twice in 6 months of owning it...

Anyways maybe an air bubble? My thoughts, hit a bump perfectly it sucked up some air, enough to kill the motor? Don't know if it's possible with road driving, I know sometimes in hard wheeling it can hiccup... Just my thoughts

• 3 weeks later...

Am I the only one who has an accurate gas gauge with a working low fuel indicator lamp?

mine works...wait, does it? heck i dont know i dont run mine too much past under half if i can help it. long fuel pump life and less chance of pickin up trash in the tank

My old 95XE had a proper working fuel gauge and idiot light. My 95SE, the idiot light works... tested by grounding the pins for it at the fuel pump, but it's never triggered, and the fuel gauge is all wonky... bad sender.

The fuel pickup is at the bottom of the tank so any "crud" that somehow settled at the bottom would be ingested regardless. That's what the fuel pump sock and inline fuel filter are for.

the "crud" that doesn't exist? lol

I've pulled many a fuel pumps out of junkyard trucks, fuel tanks are always spotless.

I usually run mine to about 1/8th of a tank before I fill up so I have no idea if the light works or not but it usually takes about 14-15 gals. If I let it go to where the needle hits E it takes 16-16.5 gals. I guess there is another 4-5 gals in there somewhere...

ah sorry then, i guess i believed those nasty mechanic myths about keeping ur fuel tank low "especially when its cold outside" will cause it to scale a bit and that in turn falls off into your tank and gathers at the lowest point where ur fuel pump loves to get the juice from. :blush02:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I replaced the fuel filter as planned and everything had been fine up until last week. One day I started it up and got a strange stutter at first, similar to when it first died on the freeway. It went away though and was fine on my way to town. I started it to head home and had the same problem, but this time it never went away. The truck stutters horribly and feels like its on the verge of dying until you hit 1900/2000 rpm's at which point it begins to run perfectly normal again. It can happen in any gear, including neutral, but will sometimes work perfectly normal through all gears.

Any ideas on what I should check now?

Well I replaced the fuel filter as planned and everything had been fine up until last week. One day I started it up and got a strange stutter at first, similar to when it first died on the freeway. It went away though and was fine on my way to town. I started it to head home and had the same problem, but this time it never went away. The truck stutters horribly and feels like its on the verge of dying until you hit 1900/2000 rpm's at which point it begins to run perfectly normal again. It can happen in any gear, including neutral, but will sometimes work perfectly normal through all gears.

Any ideas on what I should check now?

EGR valve.