First Aid Kits

Rebelord

Lets get a good discussion going on First Aid kits for off road adventures.

Personally I am looking to either get a nice kit or build one. Right now, I only have a very basic kit; band aids, creams, few gauzes. But need something better.

Your thoughts?

Edited by Rebelord

I have one of these in every vehicle. They will handle just about anything I am qualified to do, and up to gun shot wounds. There is enough room in the case to add what ever you want from bandages, to mosquite repellent to a whisky flask.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/MHR-728

Another good one I ran across looking for something else

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/MHR-340

Here is overkill unless you are a trained medic.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/MHR-516

I cant seem to find the one I have for household use/grab for an outing. It is a 6"x10"x16" bag filled with goodies, similar to this.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/9-100075

A couple of important points. What you have with you makes no difference if you are not familiar with it and know where it is. A first aid guide is helpful for two reasons, to give to someone to shut them up and to give to someone if you are the one down. Nothing is going to help you if you don't know how to properly use it and you won't be focused on studying if someone is screaming and or bleeding heavily.

I have taken long back country trips with a friend who was a paramedic for the county of San Francisco, and it was shocking how little he brought with him; a bag no larger than what I described. His explanation was simple...

"I don't have my magic van to put you in, so either you will be alright and just have to deal with it, or I have to stabilize you/make you mobile and get you to help ASAP, or it's going to kill you and there isn't crap I can do about it out here."

Be prepared to splint a leg, plug a hole, stop some bleeding, provide warmth, comfort and relief to some one and then focus on getting them to the people who can really help them. ;)

B

I was looking at the Adventure Medical Kit Grizzly

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008CZZVB8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=A8W0WR2YLBTF&coliid=I2T06BET26ZX2F

Plus order a few pouches of QuickClot. That stuff works miracles.

I take for granted the first aid training I have from the military. But yes, I do need to make sure if I am the one down. Others can help.

I personally prefer putting them together myself.

If you assemble it, you can pick and choose what goes in, you know its good, and most importantly, you're already familiar with whats in it.

Be sure to update the supplies once a year, as some items expire.

Here's the supply list for that Grizzly kit:

Supply List

spacer.gif
Bandage Materials 3 Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 2" x 2", Pkg./2 2 Bandage, Conforming Gauze, 3" 1 Bandage, Elastic, Self Adhering, 2" 3 Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 4" x 4", Pkg./2 7 Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, Knuckle 2 Dressing, Non-Adherent, Sterile, 3" x 4" 9 Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, 1" x 3" spacer.gif
Bleeding 1 QuikClot Sport 25g 1 Trauma Pad, 5" x 9" 1 Instructions, Easy Care Bleeding 2 Gloves, Nitrile (Pair) 1 Trauma Pad, 8" x 10" spacer.gif
Blister / Burn 14 Moleskin, Pre-Cut & Shaped (11 pieces) spacer.gif
CPR 1 Instructions, Easy Care CPR 1 CPR Face Shield, Laerdal spacer.gif
Duct Tape 1 Duct Tape, 2" x 50" spacer.gif
Fracture / Sprain 1 Instructions, Easy Care Fracture & Sprain 1 Bandage, Elastic with Clips, 2" 1 Bandage, Elastic with Velcro, 2" 2 Bandage, Triangular spacer.gif
Instrument 3 Thermometer, Disposable 1 EMT Shears, 4" 3 Safety Pins spacer.gif
Medical Information 1 Comp. Guide to Wilderness & Travel Medicine spacer.gif
Medication 5 Ibuprofen (200 mg), Pkg./2 4 Antihistamine (Diphenhydramine 25 mg) 4 Diamode (Loperamide HCI 2 mg), Pkg./1 4 After Bite Wipe 2 Aspirin (325 mg), Pkg./2 1 Instructions, Easy Care Medications spacer.gif
Wound Care 1 Instructions, Easy Care Wound 1 Syringe, Irrigation, 20 cc, 18 Gauge Tip 8 After Cuts & Scrapes Antiseptic Wipe 1 Dressing, Petrolatum, 3" x 3" 1 Wound Closure Strips, 1/4" x 4", Pkg./10 4 Triple Antibiotic Ointment, Single Use 2 Skin Tac Topical Adhesive Wipes 1 Tape, 1" x 10 Yards 1 Cotton Tip Applicator, Pkg./2

Probably half the cost is the bag. But I like the ideas being thrown out so far.

Military first aid training: From simple stuff to emergency trauma. Can summarize in a few steps:

Stop the bleeding.

Start the breathing.

Treat for shock.

Evac.

The one thing that I have noticed that is NOT in some of these kits. Is a simple splint. But that last one has a SAM Splint in it.

That is part of the reason I chose it. I still have to add a few items, but I'm not medically trained so to carry much more would not help. Most injuries in the woods are going to be lacerations (probably not serious), sprains and fractures anyway.

That is a basic break down. :lol:

Makes sense though, basically along the same lines as what my friend explained. It has been too long since I've taken a CPR course though, and they keep changing it proceedure.

B

One thing I would suggest you guys put in your pack.

A snake bite kit. It is basically a syringe with different size cups that go on the end.

I Wheel in places where there are quite a few venomous snakes. Never know when your going to come across one of them.

http://www.rei.com/product/407144/sawyer-extractor-pump-kit

Always good to learn how to use this before you have to. You have to act fast for this to be effective.

Edited by msavides

First Aid :

The farther from the beaten path you venture, the more prepared you should be for a medical emergency. Always carry a first-aid kit designed for the type of trek and the number of people in your group.

A variety of first-aid kits are available for day hikes, family camping trips or backpacking treks. Kits should be tailored to your trekking terrain, weather, the ages of hikers and your group's special medical needs.

It is important to know how to use everything in your first-aid kit beforehand. You won't have time in the middle of an emergency to read an instruction manual.

Before you go, learn about any possible hazards at your destination, such as poisonous plants, snakes and insects. Determine if you need any special gear or clothing. Locate the road and public phone closest to your campsite or trail, so you know where to summon help if it is needed.

Some organizations offer wilderness first-aid courses targeted to outdoors enthusiasts. Be sure to practice what you learn and share it with others in your party.

Good first-aid kits are available in a wide range of prices and specialty kits are available for mountain bikers, canoeists and others.

The following items should be considered when outfitting a basic first-aid kit:

1. 1 elastic-roll bandage
  2. Aspirin or ibuprofen
  3. Adhesive tape
  4. Alcohol swabs
  5. Antacid
  6. Antihistamine
  7. Antiseptic ointment
  8. Adhesive bandages, assorted sizes
  9. Bulb irrigating syringe
  10. Butterfly bandages
  11. Chemical heat and cold packs
  12. Dry-wash pads or wipes
  13. Diarrhea medicine
  14. Gauze pads
  15. Hydrocortisone cream (soothes allergic skin)
  16. Insect repellent
  17. Mirror, small and unbreakable
  18. Moleskin, 1 or 2 packets
  19. Cotton swab, sterile, packaged in pairs
  20. Safety pins
  21. Scissors (Swiss Army Pen Knife has scissors, small blade and nail file)
  22. Sunscreen
  23. Triangular bandage
  24. Tweezers

Inspect the contents before every trip and make sure the tools are clean and supplies in good condition. Replace expired medicines and add items you wish you had brought on the last trip. Make sure the container is durable and waterproof, and stow it in an accessible compartment of your backpack.

I like to keep it basic. I don't go wheeling alone nor where I will get stuck in the elements for multiple days so my supplies are to stabilize and evac. Sharp knife, plastic trash bag, old sweatshirt, rope, duct tape and a flask of alcohol. Not much you can't deal with if you are creative.