Bilstein 5150

bushnut

I'm not a fan of boots personally. Typically when I look under them they have collected all kinds of mud and debris. I run mine without boots and hose them off regularly. Ymmv.

Boots, boots means, legit, knowledgeable owner, its kind of like firing up someones computer and seeing they have the "ask toolbar" installed, i just roll my eyes at those kinds of people, it goes both ways with shock boots, :happy:

Plus there are some logical reasons, but that's beside the point, :laugh:

-Kyle

• Like 1

Related question: How exactly do you replace the boots on the front struts?

On my 96, they were simply slipped on, and were attached to the upper top hat, i believe, i just ripped them off because they were shredded.

On my dads 77 280z, had something similar but instead of just slipping on, they use metal spring clips, like what come stock on a lot of domestic cars for cooling lines, i think they're called cir-clips?

-Kyle

On my 96, they were simply slipped on, and were attached to the upper top hat, i believe, i just ripped them off because they were shredded.

On my dads 77 280z, had something similar but instead of just slipping on, they use metal spring clips, like what come stock on a lot of domestic cars for cooling lines, i think they're called cir-clips?

-Kyle

Well when I was looking at the replacement KYB ones, they have something acting as a bump stop in them. So what I now have to do is get the year old yet shredded bump stops off and replace them with the new ones. I really hope the whole assembly doesn't have to be taken apart.

naw the bilsteins didn't come with boots. I found some Ranchos over at NAPA for $3 each.

I liked fleury's idea of punching a hole in the bottom of the boot but the Bilsteins have holes in the flange that the boot attaches to.

So why did I change my rear shocks? well I didn't think things through when I installed my Iron Man springs. they advertised only a 35mm lift which I figured wouldn't matter to much but it turned out to be a lot more (my ground to fender edge measurement is the same as Silverpaths with 2" AC coils) and so my stock length KYBs were sitting at max extension all the time. The ride was ok but not stellar, and it sometimes felt a little weird going around a bumpy corner. The rear axle didn't have any negative travel.

Now with the two inch longer 5150s the ride is better, very subtle differences. It feels a lot more planted in the corners. and rail crossings and other bumps it feels smoother.

I feel the need to do more testing ;)

Edited by bushnut