Rear axle bump stops

Nissanland

Both of the stock bump stops on the frame are gone, I have come across two different styles to replace the stock one's. The first is the stock style that bolt on and comes in one to four inch size. Then there are the style that you install inside the coil springs themselves. They are about three inches long. They just ride there until the spring is compressed down and stops bottoming out. They are available on 4x4parts site. I'm just trying to get some thoughts about the pros and cons of each kind.

If you remove the rear sway bar, it will allow for some serious articulation which you want since yours is mainly a hunting/trail rig. Drivability won't suffer too much as long as you leave the front one on.

There is no way you would bottom out in any sort of 'normal' straight line situation without 1,000 lbs in the back, especially since you put in lift springs, no?

I wouldn't worry about it now. Finish the work, take it out and see what it does VS what you like. If you decide you want stops, then go to the junk yard (time permitting of course) and grab a set of the stock ones, they can be cut down if you wish as well. I'd stick with the bolt on ones as long as the existing threads are in good shape.

B

That's what I thought, but I thought it would be better to ask you guys of the know before I waisted the time and money on it. And NO I'm not at all the dukes of hazards type.LOL just slow and steady (or boring) this all costs to much to jump on it...But I'm willing to have fun with it. Just within maturity of the old man I'm becoming..the bones/body are starting to feel it....8-)

As for bones, old and feeling, I don't want to talk about it... :lol:

B

Must resist easy target...

I'm a fan of the factory bump stops, but I just like the way they look :lol: You hit them your either doing somethign you REALLY shouldn't be or having WAY too much fun!

Oh come on. LOL I know you can't be that old..and heck you live in the golden state. Never gets cool there...You gotta try leaving Vegas at 85' and few hour's later be chaining up in the snow @ 14' that's when you get the feeling of your bones shattering in your skin and oh, your still wearing shorts from Vegas when you get in the snow storm...LOL But on the serious side of the issue is my illnesses. I have 5 degenerative disks in lower back, pain at time is so unbelievable. I have full body neuropathy and micromyalgia. I have a great deal of non-narcotic medicine in order to do this driving. So any and alll of the things that we all have I can sympathize with...

Back to topic...so running around wo bump stops isn't going to be a issue..cool money saved...I was thinking about the rear sway and thought that I could just remove the bolts from the frame rods and replace them with some quick release snap pins like we use to hold chains on our big rigs. Then I could have them on while on highway but disconnected while off road. Would/could that cause the sway bars and frame rods hit during axle articulation?

Edited by Nissanland

Ac makes a kit. I bought it and found it had too much play in it. Clunked a lot. I ran without sway bars and only one bumpstop for awhile. Add in some torn rear bushings and holy cow these get flexy haha. Anyway. When I had the disconnects off I didn't know what to do with the sway. I'd tend to tie to the frame on one side. Sometimes that line snapped. Which made life interesting. Read you stopped very fast. It didn't work. I've also played with the idea of using a Cherokee sway bar and mounting it at the frame level with arms going down like the jeeps do. In the end I just threw it back on and really, it flexes enough for what I do.