Today...

Beatup96

The day has come....

Dropping off old Beatup96 at my friends shop this morning !

AC 2" kit with KYB's and Bilstein's

AC strut spacers

Camber adjustment kit

New CV shaft assemblies

Mile Marker hubs

Power Stop drilled rotors and pads

New calipers

Inner and outer bearings

Valve cover + intake manifold gaskets

Cat back from 1A Auto

Fix the rear tire carrier latch that hasn't worked in 5 years...

Probably some more parts in all those boxes I'm forgetting .

Been accumulating parts since June while she sat pretty much useless due to a totally beat suspension , I'd start her up every few days and tell her I hadn't forgotten about her .

You know you've owned a vehicle a long time when you talk to it as if it can hear you... :lmao:

Front end and steering all feel pretty good so I'm hoping there won't be any bad news and more $$$ on parts .

Then it's off to the tire shop for new 32's on the new Rock Crawlers !

Nice, a Pathy makeover! How many miles on it? Did you take some 'before' photos?

B

It has "about" 140,000 miles , I say about because it shows a bit over 138,000 but has had 31"s on it for the last 50,000 or so .

I forgot to take a pic but I'll be back over there tonight and hopefully remember .

I picked her up on 1/31/00 with 34,000 , someone had traded her in the day before on a new 2000 .

Some have asked why I don't just go out and pick up another truck but they just don't understand.... :crazy:

How about a waste of $ unless you actually need something different, it's paid for, newer doesn't automatically mean better, you like it, it isn't even 1/2 worn out, and that it is much more environmentally friendly to recondition and drive an older vehicle are a few that come to mind in the first moment. When people start talking like that I stop listening because they either don't think, or their perspective is skewed and far different than mine. ;)

Only 140k? You'll have that one for another decade if you want at that rate. Yeah, take a picture when you go there, if not for us, for you.

B

Going to pick her up in an hour or so .

Added a pair of outer tie rod ends when my mechanic friend got in there and found a little play .

He says it will be an "interesting" ride until it gets a proper alignment.... :lmao:

Stopped at the local tire store yesterday and ordered 5 Cooper STT's , spoke with the manager and showed him the instructions from the camber alignment bolts , he knew right away what they'd be dealing with and said "no problem" .

Tires should be in this week and on by the weekend .

Took some pics today , for some reason my computer won't accept the one taken of the view from the front though .

I never did get any "before" shots , but she looked like any other R50 with a sagging suspension .

Had to take off all the mud flaps and still need to do some basic trimming .

Still things to do like the trailing arm bushings , trying to find out what the correct sized hub centric to lug centric spacers are , find out what the "click" is from the new hubs when they're locked (in or out of 4wd) , hit the bumpers , tire carrier , and maybe the hubs with Plasti Dip , etc.....

Side....

resize_image_1757971694.jpg

Rear....

resize_image_1758241961.jpg

Rear tire in relation to flare....

resize_image_1757561861.jpg

Front tire in relation to the flare....

resize_image_1757166858.jpg

Different angle of the side view , kinda fuzzy 'cause of the crazy Beagle that kept jumping up on me looking for cookies....

resize_image_1757015100.jpg

The "clicking" sound is probably your CVs making a racket. Try to get a good pick of your CV angle.

If you have a Android phone. Make sure its signed in to your google account and let it back up the photos online. Easy to link em here. If your camera is giving you fits.

You think its the CV's making the noise ?

I had a torn boot on the right side before replacing them , it was torn for a long time .

When I'd use 4wd and make a tight low speed left turn I could hear what sounded like the splines clicking/chattering on the right side .

This sound is different , and you can feel it through the pedals .

I locked the hubs and put it in 4h , got the front wheels on some uphill gravel and turned the wheel to full lock right and left while slowly inching forward and there was no noise like before .

Then I put it back in 2wd with the hubs locked and drove it about 30 yards on pavement .

It sounded different , more like something interfering in the hub , once per each tire revolution .

One thing I noticed about the hubs while locking and unlocking them , was that there is a clear click when moved to the unlocked position but no click when they were moved to the lock position .

The CV's are definitely angled more than before .

No camera right now (dropped it in an old cranberry bog duck hunting) , took those pics with low tech phone .

I'll see if I can get a decent pic of the CV's when the sun shines tomorrow .

Thanks for the compliment on the new look !

Nice! I was expecting a beatup looking Pathy.That thing looks great.Love the rock crawlers.Thats what I am planning to get in the near future.

Thanks !

Had you driven that truck before all the recent work you'd understand the name.... :lmao:

That turned out great! :aok:

Your rear axle looks a bit pulled forward, and adjustable rear links are available to address that, but otherwise, that is about exactly how I wish our R50 looked. I'm holding off to do it to a 2003 or 2004 though...

Congrats, I'm sure you are loving it again.

B

That turned out great! :aok:

Your rear axle looks a bit pulled forward, and adjustable rear links are available to address that, but otherwise, that is about exactly how I wish our R50 looked. I'm holding off to do it to a 2003 or 2004 though...

Congrats, I'm sure you are loving it again.

B

Who sells the adjustable rear links ?

I saw Fleurys made them and had it in my mind I'd buy them from him if needed , but it seems he's not building them anymore .

The bushings are shot , both upper and lower and they're next on the list .

Think they may be adding to the axle looking pulled forward ?

There are bugs to be worked out but I'm pretty much past the point of no return .

I do like it even with the glitches still needing addressed , it's a completely different vehicle thats for sure !

You'll get it figured out, it's all in the details now. Details can be... irritating at times though. ;)

If it doesn't affect drivability, articulation or parts wear, I wouldn't bother messing with it, just something I noticed. Check out Rugged Rocks, (steevo, great guy and member here) I know he was selling them, but I do not know of the manufacturing source... :shrug:

B

You'll get it figured out, it's all in the details now. Details can be... irritating at times though. ;)

B

Yeah , I figure I'm just about there .

I believe I found the correct hub centering rings , once they come and I'm sure they fit I think I'm going to have a set made from high grade aluminium .

Ordered the bushing kit , still need to check the CV's .

I'm thinking I may take out the strut spacers , I like the look but if they're a problem I can live with the rake .

I'm not sure about the R50, but I know the WD21 stance is supposed to have a little rake.

Looking at our R50, I suspect the same, but I haven't seen one at/in factory condition for a long time... :lol:

B

Well , I think I'm about 98% done !

Had all the control arm bushings replaced with the split poly ones , what a difference !

I think the CV binding issue is resolved (knock on my wooden head) , just minor stuff now and cosmetics .

Happy happy !