I killed my Pathy =(

fixinto

hmm looks like Nissan left a fair bit of meat on the bone from factory on their heads

exhaustmeatonthebone_zps938fb54c.jpg

Well a little effort and a lot of time and elbow grease will fix that up a bit

exhaustportpolishing2_zps932f73ed.jpg

my happy tools FTW

mytoolset_zps55b655b5.jpg

omw back up

gettingclosebuildup_zps6309c894.jpg

28 degrees F outside, and night time, so go go gadget hand warmer

handwarmer_zps67aa3ad4.jpg

My nifty wire harness holder

Wiringharnessholder_zps72c35a31.jpg

not the red electrical tape on the knock sensor connector, wire was a little floppy so taped it up figure may as well help it out since i replaced the knock sensor that was bad since i bought the truck lol

headson_zps2e2e63a0.jpg

Almost there bout 3am,

almostthere_zpscb1d82e6.jpg

ok, first start, and under the hood action, the FMS said to soak the lifters in oil on their sides, well i soaked them all for 5 or 6 weeks considering that is how long it took me to get the $ together because wouldnt u know it? right when i started undertaking the project i went from 58 hours a week at work to 0 to 30 hours, i was barely hanging on by my fingernails. "thank goodness for ebay" anyways, other resources said to pump up the lifters by hand while submerged in oil so i did an experiment to see if it really made a difference, i pumped up the driver side ones and not the passenger side ones, "keep in mind they were all soaked for 5 to 6 weeks" not sure if u can tell on the video but they all ticked happily for about 3 to 5 minutes then quieted down and i havent heard a peep out of them since CLICK IMAGES TO SEE THE VID

th_FIRSTSTART_zpsd9be1853.jpg

th_firstfireupunderhood_zps20e3d318.jpg

and the whine i believe is my balancer, when i was tightening up the fan and water pump pulley bolts i noticed that after the nut got tight i turned it and the rear two pulleys turned and the front one remained stationary, i have since ordered a new one.

Edited by fixinto

celebrating a job well done. The next weekend after much needed sleep

celebratingajobwelldone_zps7941ca95.jpg

ohhh yummy poppers wrapped in bacon and stuffed with cream cheese grilltastic action

yummy_zpsb74f9096.jpg

and the heavens parted and angels sang as all was once again right with the world

hellyanuffsaid_zpsb0616347.jpg

let me try to remember all i have into this

25 dollars for air impact from wal mart, "cheap but saved me more than once" and if i would have had it to begin with i wouldnt have been tearin into this thing so far. GRR GRRR GRR the H. Sight 20x20 i guess.

36 dollars for upper end gasket set. included exhaust manifold gaskets, upper and lower intake gaskets, IACV gasket, TB gasket, cam seals, head gaskets, Viton valve stem seals, and valve cover gaskets. "ebay"

37 dollars complete head bolt set "ebay"

80 dollars for complete lifter set "ebay" autozone wanted 16 per lifter and i would have had to order them

60 dollars driver side replacement exhaust manifold "summit racing"

18 dollars Knock sensor. "working like a champ" first time my R50 has seen 6k rpm since i owned it. "only seen it once btw"

33 dollars new Harmonic balancer "ebay"

8 dollars sawzall blades x5 "royal king" local store that carries all kinds of stuff

30 dollars for various cleaners and lubricants

25 dollars worth of exhaust repair stuff

54 for a replacement O2 sensor "splice and wire up kind" universal bosch from advanced auto

40 for all new belts

15 for thermostat

35 timing belt

20 water pump

40ish all new hoses and a few clamps

10 dollars worth of sanding and polishing supplies "harbor freight"

lots of time cleaning, polishing and wrenching and cussing.

Hope you guys enjoyed the adventure that Mr. Pathy and myself went on. and i hope i didnt take up too much space on the forum with all the photos.

Have a good one

Pat

i forgot a pic, and sorry it took me so long to sort the pics and get em posted for those of you that were wanting to see them.

anyways, here is the pic of the shiney happy head and freshly polished cam back on the block and i included a link to a youtube vid i made, not the best quality, but maybe it will give some insight on the updated version of adjusting your TPS.

CleanedandinstalledPShead_zpsb37e6317.jp

Edited by fixinto

I would have fixed those cams and put on new seals. There is a product that is a thin sleeve that fits over the cam ends and effectively removes those grooves left by the cam seals. Did mine when I had it apart. no leaks at all.

Must be nice to have her going again. :)

Very nice indeed, Running better than ever, no ticks "ever" the one tick i had before i undertook this was on and off, and i believe it was do to a mostly clogged oil passage i found in the driver side lifter guide plate while i was cleaning everything up. the 18 dollar knock sensor is still workin like a champ. No Leaks and now it dont peter out around 3 and 1/2 k. It pulls hard on up to about 4 and 1/2 probably better than that. i just usually shift their when im in a big hurry, and thats not often at all. soooo i havent really stood on it or anything is what im tryin to say. waiting on a warm day to replace my balancer that i got in the day before Christmas because im not in any hurry to take anything off of it as u can possibly imagine lol. but the short of it is yes it feels great. and thank you.

Pat

Good job, and thanks for taking the time to post the picts and explain them. I'm sure this will help a lot of people down the line... :aok:

B

Thank you, in the future if i can find someone to give me a hand i will try to get actual videos and more detailed descriptions of the work im doing. As well as detailed pics but, for that build, i was working mostly at night do to working 2nd shift and it was a large undertaking for me so i just grabbed a shot when i was thinking about it and not cussing something that was stuck or too hard to reach lol. but ya it was a lot of fun minus the cold and "having" to get it back together asap.

Pat

I would have fixed those cams and put on new seals. There is a product that is a thin sleeve that fits over the cam ends and effectively removes those grooves left by the cam seals. Did mine when I had it apart. no leaks at all.

I have no leaks, "as far as i know" I'm constantly checking the oil and radiator level to make sure everything is good to go, and ive gone over the bolts on the front of the motor and exhaust manifolds as well as keeping a close eye on my seals around the head and valve cover gaskets. It has been around 2500 miles and so far so good. but if i ever get that far back into it, i will probably purchase the euro cams so the seal grooves wont be an issue anymore. ;) or better yet do an LQ9 swap. hehe. need another daily before i even think about something like that tho.

Pat