Possible Working(slave) Cylinder or Rear Main Seal leak

mfoley412

Hey there, I have been wondering about this slow leak on my pathfinder, I have been monitoring it since I got the truck about a year ago, seems to be coming from the slave cylinder, although I am not completely sure of it.

The dust cover seal around the slave is all yucky and the drips seem to be coming down from there and dripping off of the tranny, not very much leaks ever, and I can't tell that anything is losing fluid.

The other possibility is from changing the oil because of where the filter is stupidly located there is oil that is inadvertently spilled almost every time the oil is changed, then eventually cools down/dries out, gets reheated and slowly makes its way down and across the engine and onto the tranny where it drips, drips, drips....

And then the OTHER, OTHER possibility I have been mulling over is if the rear main seal is leaking inside where the slave is mounted and coming through the seal, which i suppose is possible but I have no clue.

I think its probably a combination of two of these things.. I have some photos of the slave and the crossmember/oil pan to show that there is an oil film over a lot of the bottom which i think is from the oil filter also the seal and/or dust cover for the slave is ripped a little bit and it looks more wet there than anywhere else.

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx59/matthew_foley1/slave2_zpsbf54bef6.jpg (slave)

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx59/matthew_foley1/slave1_zps63d60ae8.jpg (slave)

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx59/matthew_foley1/underc1_zpse2045e54.jpg Crossmember/oil pan

No nothing really ever has to be refilled. the oil did go down a little bit after driving from central oregon down almost to tahoe and back. but I figure that I would probably lose a little bit of oil on that long of a trip..because after I changed the oil the level did not drop until after driving for a couple thousand miles AND the trip down and back. would my car with almost 190,000 on the clock burn a little bit of oil off over that big of a trip?

Also the fluid in the master cylinder is pretty black...

That first pic you are showing. The square rubber isn't your slave cylinder. That's where your clutch fork is. The slave is actually mounted right next to it with 2 bolts.<br /><br />My guess is you have oil leaking from the valve covers (very common) or even possibly a small leak from your oil pressure switch. And yes, oil spillage from oil changes are a strong possibility.

My guess is you have oil leaking from the valve covers (very common) or even possibly a small leak from your oil pressure switch. And yes, oil spillage from oil changes are a strong possibility.

Agreed, any of these can end up pooling oil there over time as gravity pulls it down.

• 3 months later...

So, I think I am finally going to fix the leak from the oil pressure switch.. Has anyone else had this problem? Why exactly is it leaking? can I just put some silicone squeeze gasket on the threads? or does it just need an O ring to be replaced?

So, I think I am finally going to fix the leak from the oil pressure switch.. Has anyone else had this problem? Why exactly is it leaking? can I just put some silicone squeeze gasket on the threads? or does it just need an O ring to be replaced?

just some regular ole plumbers tape on the threads should do you. Don't over tighten though on reinstallation, easily broken, then you're in a whole other heap of trouble.

• Like 1

I put plumbers tape on it and thought the leak stopped but its still got a small leak.. how far are you supposed to screw it in? or is there a torque specification for the Oil Pressure Switch?

I guess the torque is 7-12 foot lbs. I think i put it in a little more than that... should I try a new switch or a bolt with the same threading?? lol as I'm writing this I am answering my own questions.. Any and ALL input is very much appreciated though!!

Also does anyone know the threading off hand so i don't have to pull the damned thing out to measure it with the things at ace?

Edited by mfoley412

• 2 weeks later...

Woohoo! it's only been since yesterday but my starter is dry this morning! New switch definitely was the way to go and now that I did this I noticed there was some gasket material that was worn off of the old switch where the electrical connector is.. Yay for no more oil leaks! (yet anyways..)