Guess it's time for ANOTHER thread... :/

Kyle94

If TPS is good, and timing is set the only thing left to check is the IACV and it sits on the throttle body is my understanding, so you shouldn't have to remove the intake. But I've never done it before. But that's what I'd do next in your shoes.

-Kyle

Is your intake tube good to go? No cracks past the MAF? They tend to crack near the TB.

Coolant temp sensor good to go? IIRC there are 2, one may be reporting a colder temp causing it to want to idle faster.

^^^ IAT temp sensor good to go? ^^^ Same thing.

IAC valve, its under the TB. No need to remove the intake. Just PITA to kinda get to.

Just a few off top of my head.

I just bought some bars rear main and crank shaft seal stuff. We will see how it goes.

Sometimes the idle will be lower if I start it warm. But it's like something kicks in and it the idle pick back up. :(

I just poured a bottle of Bars to stop a cold water leak in my Heep. It really worked! I placed some cardboard in front of the radiator so to run the engine temp up to 240-250f. After two or three restarts the crack in the iron block sealed.

• Like 1

I've read either the tb or the idle air control valve have went bad. But idk. Still searching For a timing light. Harbor freight doesn't sell them. And oreilly doesn't rent. Trying to find one from a friend to borrow.

Harbor freight has em, well at least around here, i bought one for 20 dollars when i had high idle issues after cleaning my TB also. And to get any real adjustment out of moving the dizzy u need to unplug the TPS. Also if you cleaned everything all shiney and happy. I hate to point out the obvious. But be sure your your high idle cam is working properly. Look in the FMS to see what its supposed to do. After that adjust the IACV screw at the rear driver side of the intake. "recommend a nubby phillips head screw driver". My TB looked like it hasn't been cleaned in years so i cleaned it while i was doing the valve cover gaskets. then i found out my cold idle cam or "thermo element" was jacked up and stuck at a higher idle than it should have been. Instead of dropping 150 dollars on it i freakin backed the screw out all the way till the little arm that pushes out no longer touched the "bent" bracket that adjust your idle on start up. that way its always the lowest idle it can be. when u first start it on cold mornings it will putt putt for a couple of seconds then the ecu kicks in and it goes upto 1200 or so. I was 750 on idle before the cleaning and after i was 1200 to 1500. After the thermo element thing was resolved i was able to adjust the screw on the idle air control valve to get the idle resolved. got it down to 725 at the moment thats where i prefer it. normal for manual shift is 750 plus or minus 50 so i just went on the low side.

PS after you do the adjustment, if it doesnt run exactly right give it a week or so of just driving it, and it should calm down a little. Also check that small little crappy hose that plugs into the bottom of you throttle body inlet. very hard to miss but kindof easy to knock off. I hope my endless blather helped u out. but i have been where you are.

Best wishes

Patrick

Don't recall, but did you replace the fuel filter? It's a quick $5 job....gas will leak everywhere...even if you follow the directions in the manual... :/

^ amen to that, dont be directly under it and i highly recommend safety glasses or a scuba mask hehe.

• Like 1

The IAC is under the TB, IIRC.

Sent from my Moto X!

IACV on a 96 is under the upper plenum in the rear on the driver side. the little black box that has 3 tubes going to it is under the throttle body and ya, its a pain unless u take some stuff off, but the single tube running out of one side that goes to the underside of the throttle body is what popped off during mine, and i was getting the same exact things as the poor fella workin on his. " Also my thero element for the fast idle cam was bad"

Edited by fixinto

iacv turned all the way down now, idles 900-1000 rpms. it fluctuates now. more so than before. almost like the same pulse i get when accelerating. the little round disc filter thingy clicks now. and it idles about 650 in drive. something else is the problemo.... on to look for the fast idle cam BS.

iacv turned all the way down now, idles 900-1000 rpms. it fluctuates now. more so than before. almost like the same pulse i get when accelerating. the little round disc filter thingy clicks now. and it idles about 650 in drive. something else is the problemo.... on to look for the fast idle cam BS.

If you were able to adjust it down that far i would say the fast idle cam is not stuck on the high setting, "maybe it is" but that seems ok. the searching idle may just be the ecu having to adjust to the changes in air flow do to the throttle body cleaning and iacv adjustment i would give it a week and see what happens unless its throwing nasty CEL's at ya.

No cel. Idle is about 750 as of today. And the drive idle is a little less. Over all I'm much happier now to just fix the slight up and down in the idle.

Sweet, happy its getting lined out for you.

• 1 month later...

Still having the fluctuating up and down ilde when accelerating. And the more i noticed it and think about it, the more it pisses me off. :( I plan to swap it to a 5spd shortly and with the way the engine dips when gaining speed, i could imagine what that will feel like when hooked directly to a 5spd.

I have a tested good alternator sitting waiting to be installed. (mine's bearing are shot and causing a whine) but i'm not sure if that will fix it. Hopefully this next weekend.

Timing could possibly not be set right? I'm not the best at figuring out the timing.

At tax time ill end up just taking it to nissan for them to run diagnostics, if the alternator doesn't change anything.

No. It happens most noticeably when I'm accelerating and not using cruise. But it still does it when using cruise on the highway and the torque converter isn't locked. That's when I can really feel it is when the tc isn't locked.

I've had the air box off a few times. Everything seems fine. Can't find any leaks, not even using spray. Nothing happens.

What's really odd is it seems somedays, i can start it up and run it for a while and it doesn't do it, or does it hardly at all. or it's just me. But either way it's taunting me... :shiftyeyes:

:stickwack:

do you have a timing light? 3rd stripe on balancer is 15 degrees btc. If it dont do it when you first start it up, Like before the truck is upto temp. that just says it has to do with the sensors and ecu or possibly timing. The ecu dont start reading the sensors till its upto temp. until then its in open loop.