Replaced TPS on my 87, now it starts but dies.

meekrog

I replaced my TPS and now it starts right up but promptly dies. I reattached all the vacuum hoses, harnesses etc correctly... switched back to old sensor and same issue. Do I just need to adjust it? or should it at least run even without? I checked through previous posts on the subject but none quite matched up so i was hoping someone has had this happen and could shoot me some advice.

Thanks

Yes, there is a potentially time consuming process to set the correct position on it.

The TPS is not 'plug and play'

You need to download and consult the FSM for the correct proceedure.....and have a good supply of patience on hand when doing it. :)

Okay, found a couple places with how to do it, any line on a full downloadable factory service manual? Will be attempting to get it figured out tonight, I fiddled will it a little yesterday before I got ahold of a multimeter and got it to run nasty but run, so hopefully a good calibration will work. Wish me luck... Haha

Okay, found a couple places with how to do it, any line on a full downloadable factory service manual? Will be attempting to get it figured out tonight, I fiddled will it a little yesterday before I got ahold of a multimeter and got it to run nasty but run, so hopefully a good calibration will work. Wish me luck... Haha

I have a FSM for the 89 d21/wd21 which covers the tbi unit and how to adjust the tps, it's about 155mb and I can't remember where I got it from but if you want I can upload the two pages which show how to adjust the tps.