Pathfinder Engine Questions

BikerJared

Not sure if this should go here or garage. I've got a 94 Pathfinder with Thorley headers and a stock VG30E.

I've been planning on building out this truck for a few years and am finally to the point where I gotta start buying stuff.

What I want:

Gobs of power, but as good of MPG that I can get. I imagine this rules out FI solutions. I like the idea of dropping in a 3.3L + cams + possible bore to 3.4L with VQ pistons.

Questions:

1. Will my Thorley headers work on a 3.3L? (I'm guessing that minimum that they bolt holes will need to be bigger.) Nobody seems to make decent headers for these cars anymore...

2. I've got two VG33Es local (one for $800 with 119k and one for $650 with 114k and finally one for $735 with 89k). Is it less trouble to buy one from a junk yard or to get a JDM motor? What should I look for in choosing a motor? I gotta pull this trigger quick before these motors are picked up by other shops.

3. It seems like Mr.510 and Project Pathfinder used the VG30 heads on their VG33 bottom ends? (I actually wasn't entirely sure with Mr.510's but it seemed that way.) Why do people do that and not just use the VG33 heads with a bored bottom end?

4. Finally, I'm a software engineer and not a mechanic by trade -- can somebody recommend a mechanic in Utah or Salt Lake Counties that would be willing to take on a project like this? I'm willing to take a crack at it in my garage, but I don't want to ruin stuff. :)

Thanks in advance!

First off, let me just say that the only real engine work I've done was on a rototiller. This is not experience speaking. Guys on here who've done VG33 swaps will likely have better advice.

That said...

1. My understanding is that the headers will fit fine, though the stud holes will require drilling.

2. If you decide on a junkyard motor, give it a look over before buying. See what the oil looks like, and look under a valve cover if you can. How it's been kept up is likely more important than the number of miles.

3. Looking at Mr. 510's swap thread again, he says the VG30 and 33 heads are the same basic casting but with the smaller exhaust studs. I imagine he had the VG30 ones laying around the shop, and given the rust damage in his VG33's bores, it's possible that the VG33 heads were more mucked up than he wanted to deal with. My understanding is that most VG33 swaps keep their heads.

Just the VG33 swap with VG30 cams would be a much easier/cheaper build. The VG34 requires the VH45 pistons, mill work to the pistons, block bore+hone, and different rods or specially made bushings for the stock rods, on top of the stuff you need already. It makes sense if you have a collection of parts and your own machine shop, but otherwise it seems like a lot of effort and $ for a 0.1L displacement gain.

Edited by Slartibartfast

I've done the swap twice now. Once in my truck using the whole vg33 including accessories out of a r50 pathfinder, and once on my ladys truck using Mr510s adapter.

Find a clean vg33 and use the whole thing. Best I can recommend. The vg33 has better flowing heads and thicker exhaust studs. It is a much better design overall.

If you find a whole vg33 with accessories from a frontier/xterra then it will swap right over. I used an r50 engine and accessories so I welded up custom low clearance accessory mounts and bent the stock lines to work.

The vg34 is a lot of work and $$ if u don't have your own machine shop but its not just .1 L displacement increase, its also a significant compression ratio increase which is the main reason it makes over 200hp.

My plan is forced induction personally though, its more efficient to setup a turbo on an engine and requires little to no internal engine work. These motors are built for boost. Once I finish the turbo setup on my 240sx, I'm going to be setting up a rear mount turbo on my pathfinder. The vg33e with vg30e cams and a small turbo will walk all over a vg34 and have much better gas mileage as well.

Depends which route you want to go. Either way will run you some money but dropping in a vg33 as it sits is not a huge feat . From there its all peripherals to run a turbo setup.

Just my opiniin, but its the direction I'm going.

Thanks for the responses. I'm still shopping engines and trying to find one in good shape.

Nefarious -- I dig the 3.4 for the compression ratio increase. That increases efficiency the most because you're then able to convert more of the explosive/heat energy into motion. You're right though -- looks like a ton of work to get it right.

A turbo would be fun, but the heat and lag add more stress on everything overall. I may go that direction someday though.

Does anybody have any details on what My1Path's engine build is like? His build seems the simplest with good results. I wont be doing a lot of the work myself -- I've got a shop that is interested in it. They want as much info as possible though before they start.

I got most of my info on the VG33+ from this thread - that's what put me on track to this. Trust me, I've been scouring the forums.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/35773-what-to-expect-out-of-a-vg33-and-vg34/

I'll just PM him and ask him my questions... thanks for your help.