Well add me to the list...

patqx4

...of members who've crashed their pathys :suicide:

WP_000234_zpsaed3a01c.jpg

WP_000235_zpsc9aba4e8.jpg

A-Arm is toast:

WP_000239_zpsa6ca48cb.jpg

And somehow I ruptured a brake line in the BACK!

WP_000240_zpsb4919abd.jpg

Can anyone help me with the part name and number for the steel brake line that broke? It's the line that goes into the rubber line to the axle.

I have a new control arm coming tomorrow, and a new fender on Monday. I think I can save the headlight. sigh.

Can anyone help me with the part name and number for the steel brake line that broke? It's the line that goes into the rubber line to the axle.

I have a new control arm coming tomorrow, and a new fender on Monday. I think I can save the headlight. sigh.

That fender looked pretty salvageable :shrug:.

That fender looked pretty salvageable :shrug:.

No way... it's crumpled all to hell. Plus I could see afterwards that under the flare was completely rotted.

:( How'd that happen?

Drove it into a pole at low speed. brake line blew and foot went to the floor.

Bummer. That is a list that I would like to keep my name off of.

I felt the same way whenever I saw a post like this one. I never thought it would be me.

The A-arm looks toast just from the rust...

True that.

I blame the cat.....

:lol:

perfect time to fab up a snorkel !

where did you get the wheel spacers?

I'm always impressed by what you can fix on the front yard with hand tools.

good on you for doing it yourself.

• Like 3

No need for a snorkel. I'm building it like an expedition rig, I generally try to avoid mud and water. The spacers came from ebay and thanks for the kind words, It's really out of necessity that I'm doing it myself though, lol.

Good on you for fixing it yourself. Most body shops these days won't touch anything that isn't like 2 years old and an insurance job. And they take shortcuts yet still charge you outrageous fees.

• Like 1

I had to replace the passenger side front fender, it had a lot of cancer. I bought a used one. It was grey. I asked a local body shop how much to spray it black. they wanted $300.00 dollars. I was like it's a 13 year old bush/ camping truck, it has no value. I did it my self for 12.00 in spray paint. does it match? NO. do I care? NO. Its a bush truck/ road tripper. It does not have any resale/collector value. Does it look better than with the cancer? Yes.

I firmly believe in the concept of... I bought it I will make it run as long as I can. this is not a beauty show. unless you pay unreasonable amounts of money for a used vehicle it really isn't worth anything. so I might as well keep it going for as long reasonably possible. the more mods/fixes I can do myself the better off I am.

• Like 1

Thanks for the support everyone! I will continue to update this as the repair progresses. and Karmann the jack is the stock jack that came with the truck.

Here's how I'm driving it for now :laugh:

WP_000253_zps72f0a63e.jpg

Headlight is fixed, I got really lucky that it was only cracked in a couple places. A JY replacement is $500 :blink:

Brake line is fixed. I've never changed a brake line before.. what a PITA!

The steering wheel is crooked, not surprisingly. My camber bolts just came in the mail friday so It was going in for an alignment anyway. But other that that it drives straight and everything seems fine. Making progress.

I like it, very Road Warrior style.

you said the rear brake line just blew out? that has me concerned for mine. If you don't mind me asking could you give me a ball park figure on how much it cost for parts? and maybe some part #s?

thanks

You just need to buy pre flared 3/8 brake line in the approximate length you need. Make sure the threads on the fittings are metric and not imperial or it will leak. Then you bend them to shape, which is really the part I struggled with. It would be awesome if you could buy them pre shaped, then it would be so easy just screw them in and bleed the brakes.

If you do change one I recommend that you tape up the fittings during the bending and fitting until the moment you screw them in. Dirt got in my line and all in the threads and I had to start over with a new line.

Edited by patqx4