DRLs: Am I crazy?

Karmann

So I'm thinking of adding some LED Daytime Running Lights to the front of the Pathy. I really like the look on some, and absolutely hate it on others. I think it could pull it off. I just don't want it to look too rice or JC Whitney gone wild.

Here's where I'm thinking, I'm preferrential to Option 1, because it utilizes the factory slide-out.

IMG_1793GDRLmod_zpse38b351b.jpg

I'm talking about the LED strips as seen here, just a little shorter.

drls_zps8954922b.jpg

And I know it's mostly aesthetic and has nothing to do with actual trail performance, but I'm looking for opinions :blush: I suppose they could be handy in dusty conditions, marking my front end without me actually having to turn on my parking lamps. DRLs do have some science behind them....

Thanks!

Edited by Karmann

/>

So what brand are they? Do they only come in one length? How bright are they alone at night?

Haha I haven't bought them yet, just doing a sanity check. But my favorite so far is the Philips Daylight 4 system. They're the supplier for Mercedes, and have the best rated add-on out there. They automatically can turn off when you turn on the headlights, and have a super easy wiring and mounting kit included.

why?

I like the look personally, if it's cleanly done. I'm trying to refresh the front end of my pathfinder with some semi-jdm touches. It also is proven to add visibility and some studies suggest, reduce daytime accidents. They're required on all new cars in Europe so there is some science behind them. I think they could at least help in dusty conditions.

IMHO, i give a very slight eye roll to anyone that puts DRL LED's on a car that never had them originally fitted by the factory, but if i had to choose, it would be option three.

-Kyle

Yeah I typically do, but they're very popular in my part of SoCal and have been starting to grow on me. I think I will go with Option 3 when the chance arises. It seems like the most 'factory' location.

• Like 1

Actually, the safety benefit of DRLs isn't particularly apparent. DOT HS 811 029 found that when considering (1) two-passenger vehicle crashes excluding rear-end crashes, (2) single-passenger-vehicle to pedestrians/cyclists crashes, and (3) single passenger-vehicle to motorcycle crashes.

"The analysis found that DRLs have no statistically significant overall effects on the three target crashes. When combining these three target crashes into one target crash, the DRL effects were also not statistically significant"

Light trucks & vans did benefit from DRLs though, in one of the crashes studied.

But I feel that anything that will help visibility of my vehicle towards other drivers is a good idea, and LEDs especially draw so little current that I cannot see a downside other than the initial cost and time spent for installation.

• Like 2

Actually, the safety benefit of DRLs isn't particularly apparent. DOT HS 811 029 found that when considering (1) two-passenger vehicle crashes excluding rear-end crashes, (2) single-passenger-vehicle to pedestrians/cyclists crashes, and (3) single passenger-vehicle to motorcycle crashes.

"The analysis found that DRLs have no statistically significant overall effects on the three target crashes. When combining these three target crashes into one target crash, the DRL effects were also not statistically significant"

Light trucks & vans did benefit from DRLs though, in one of the crashes studied.

But I feel that anything that will help visibility of my vehicle towards other drivers is a good idea, and LEDs especially draw so little current that I cannot see a downside other than the initial cost and time spent for installation.

My idea exactly, even if the science is somewhat shaky at points, I figure the extra visibility can't hurt. Plus that could possibly stop me from having to turn on my headlights when we get the soupy fog. There is so much traffic here, every bit counts.

• Like 1