Ok guys and gals, i need help. :( Running rough... exploded hose?

Kyle94

So recently (over the past three days?) my truck has been starting to run rougher and rough each day when its up to operating temp. Until today. it runs really bad when you first press the gas and runs that way up until you in the higher rpms 4.5k or higher. I thought it was water in the gas or spark plugs.

So i dumped some HEET into it when i got home... then a few mins later i noticed steam bellowing from under the hood. Then i remembered i had started smelling coolant when this all started. Well what do ya know, the upper coolant hose (the one behind the timing cover of course!) has a fairly decent sized pin hole in it. :( It runs down off the drivers side valve cover and onto the exhaust. it must have blow open a bigger hole when i got on it on the way home....

So i got to thinking, its spraying DIRECTLY at the drivers side injector closest to the front. (#1??) Could that be causing the truck to run like total A$$? I'm really stumped.

I'm changing the timing belt and spark plugs on monday, along with the hose now, and cam seals, and front main seal if it needs it. But the problem is i have to drive over 100miles to my friends to do it because i don't know how. Will i make it?

Sorry for the long post, but i just got off work and found this all out. this is my only vehicle so im going to have to keep dumping Coolant into it over the weekend and bring a few gallons along for the trip to my friends.... maybe??

Fix the leak first and fill it up with coolant.

Just remembered it could be that coolant temperature sensor causing the engine to run poorly.

Edited by Tungsten

if it's leaking coolant....stop the leak first....or be prepared to keep filling it up often until you get to your friends place. then deal with it..remember an overheated engine is a very grumpy engine.

at the very least plug the hole with duct tape and bubble gum if you have to but don't let that engine overheat.

i do not plan on LETTING it over heat haha. but yeah, ill be taking multiple gallons of water and/or coolant with me. ill try to slow the leak down with something. but im sure it'll still leak. pressure...

Edited by Kyle94

I sort of agree with Tungsten. Being that its leaking at the bypass hose the temp sensor could be causing the problems. It might not be able to really get a good reading. In my opinion I wouldn't try to drive it that far. A pinhole leak can become a giant leak pretty quickly. Gotta do what you gotta do I guess. Good luck man.

Driving 100 miles with a coolant leak is asking for it and I don't advise it. Everything from it failing catastrophically to overheating the motor is possible...

Ok, it runs like crap. Have you checked the ECU for codes? This should always be your first stop, it might tell you what is going on...

Yes, I could see the injector giving you problems if the connection is wet, but don't fixate on it. "When it warms up" means it is when the engine control system is engaged so check everything you can with a multimeter both hot and cold, and make sure to wiggle wires/connectors when it is warm/running to see if anything changes. In the last 6 months I've dealt with TPS and coolant temp sensor issues, and both times it was the wiring, not the sensor.

i have to drive over 100miles to my friends to do it because i don't know how.

Sure you do. There is a perfectly adequate write up in the Garage/How To section. Lack of tools or a place to work I can understand, but the directions are clear here and in the FSM...

B

• Like 1

i have an old used (but actually good) temp sensor in my tool box... but its been jostled around quite a bit.

B, i do not know how, nor do i trust my self doing it the first time. and i don't have ALL the tools to do it. Plus i'm getting nissan oem parts from said friend for cheap.... this is why i want to figure out a way to temp fix or maybe fix? I dont know if there is a way to change said hose without taking a whole bunch of crap off? i really am at a loss as to what i want to do right now and it sucks. :(

I have not checked the ECU for codes, but it doesnt have any (i know, check anyway) by the time i got home i had a half hour to fiddle with it. tried unplugging the o2, wasn't that, wiggled the maf wires, nope. if it comes down to it, ill buy a temp sensor since they are cheap. but im also going to fill it up and see if maybe just running a little low on coolant isn't allowing the coolant temp sensor to read properly and thus cuz funny things.

Even with the write up/fsm i don't trust my self... mostly just putting it all together tight/loose enough and on the right marks... haha.

It's actually not bad to change that hose. Pretty common tools, its just more of a pain and time to take off the belts, upper pulley etc to change it. I sure as hell wouldn't drive it that far with a leaky hose. Sure it could be fine, but if its not, your in worse shape.

I was referring to the timing belt job.... lol..

YOu have changed that hose before? maybe ill try to tackle it early tomorrow morning before work at 3.... i gotta figure something out fast. haha. i figure ill have to take the fan clutch and fan shroud out (fan too obv.) at least. and then maybe the adjuster pulley at top??

Wrap it tighter than sheit with electrical tape, it'll hold it till you get up to Davids.

Put a dab of RTV over the pin hole for good measure.

Edited by Kingman

Replaced the hose. Just got done about and hour ago. It sprayed coolant (the fan did) all over but I'm sure it's just what leaked when I changed the hose. Which was a biotch by the way! Lol. Driving it to work today and I'll see if it does indeed still leak or not. Took me bout an hour and a half to two hours. Meh.

Replaced the hose. Just got done about and hour ago. It sprayed coolant (the fan did) all over but I'm sure it's just what leaked when I changed the hose. Which was a biotch by the way! Lol. Driving it to work today and I'll see if it does indeed still leak or not. Took me bout an hour and a half to two hours. Meh.

Well I guess it still runs like butt when it's fully warm. It's not the o2 I unplugged it didn't go away if anything made it worse. Could I unplug the coolanttemp sensor and see if it goes away? Or? I can go buy a sensor if need be tomorrow.

Like Adamzan said. You can change that hose with everything in place. You need some needle nose pliers and a pry bar. I have changed it before. You can slice the old one with a razorblade. Once its sliced you pull it off the lower plenum first, then pull the other chunk straight up and out. If you can get some pliers around the hose sections and rock them back and forth a bit they will come out a lot easier.

The new hose will be pliable and much easier to get back into place and u can use a bit of antifreeze on the inside edges of the new hose to act as lubricant to squeeze it back on the pipes easy enough.

Don't drive 100 miles with a busted coolant hose... thats just asking to damage your engine. Change the elbow! It's not that bad..