Differnce between oil grades?

XerOne

Hi, I was wondering what the differnce between oil grades, and what would be best for my vehical? I live on the northern oregon coast USA and it gets to about 20-25 degrees ferenheit here in the winter.

Thanks

I'm in the Puget Sound area, so we have roughly the same weather, but you're probably a bit warmer in winter. I'd go with 10w-30. From everybody that I've talked to, and what I've read, that's a good "in the middle" weight for us since we have pretty much a mild climate year round.

I run 5W30 in mine. Used to live in the desert southwest but now in cold and miserable northeast. Perhaps I should change. Anyway, check under your hood... literally. Mine has a sticker on the bottom side of the hood indicating the recommended oil weight for certain temps.

I'm in central Cali, and I run 10W 40 Valvoline all year round.... call me lazy, or a creature of habit.

It's over 100 in summer, and gets to just about freezing, sometimes below in winter.

Hey K9sar, you are right, you should change... Your location, not the oil. How you could ever go from the South West to the North East I'll never understand. It woulds take a shotgun, handcuffs and about 400 horsepower to get me there and I'd be sreaming and fighting the whole, just to head back south after I chewed through the leg shackles... LOL, stay warm Bud !!

Bernard

Born and raised in the northeast. My company sent me to NM for a few years because the people they had out there couldn't tell their butts from a praire-dog burrow :) Once the job was done, I moved back to my home area.