What engine component is this

OH and it does two things: lowers the air pressure needed coming in from the air intake to fill the cylinders as the valves open and close and reduces noise from the intake.

Edited by Alkorahil

Thanks Alkorahil! That was extremely helpful. I have a 92 SE with 294,900 miles with all original parts and I want to keep it running strong. All I do to it is change the belts, hoses, fluids, brakes, and tires and it has been running like a champ.

Unccpathfinder Ohh yes of course, I just put belts cause I was too lazy to type it out, but I change that every 50k miles (live in los angeles with a lot of idling.) I have another question. My tranny has 295 thousand miles on it and I am starting to get nervous about heat. When I turn the key to the on position, My AT-Temp light does not turn on. Is it supposed to turn on to let me know that the bulb is working? Thanks again

When I turn the key to the on position, My AT-Temp light does not turn on. Is it supposed to turn on to let me know that the bulb is working? Thanks again

Mine does on my '99.5. I'd assume it should on your '92.

Unccpathfinder Ohh yes of course, I just put belts cause I was too lazy to type it out, but I change that every 50k miles (live in los angeles with a lot of idling.) I have another question. My tranny has 295 thousand miles on it and I am starting to get nervous about heat. When I turn the key to the on position, My AT-Temp light does not turn on. Is it supposed to turn on to let me know that the bulb is working? Thanks again

Well, it does in my 1995, and although the dash is a different design, I'm willing to bet your should also. I suppose after 21 years and 300k miles, a bulb or two could fail... :D

Awesome little trucks, aren't they?

B

If you have a 2WD Pathfinder, you may not have a bulb in the A/T OIL TEMP indicator lamp. I don't think 2WD RE4R01A transmissions have the transmission fluid temperature sensor in the pan, at least I'm almost certain my 2001.5 doesn't. It also didn't have a bulb in the indicator lamp, but I put one in there anyway. It comes on with the ignition set to "ON" and I haven't seen it ever lit otherwise (and hope I never do). It's supposed to come on with the alternator and brake lights when the alternator is failing, so I guess that's when I'll see it on eventually...

If the AT temp light comes on, the trans is probably roasted already; from what I've heard it doesn't kick in until the trans is good and overheated. Some guys run a temperature gauge. I just put a cooler on mine and figured that would keep it under control.

Interesting about the resonator, I didn't know they went that far. Mine doesn't have the bit going across. The pipe leading to it is actually pinched off shortly after the air intake, so I'm not sure what the rest of it's for. :scratchhead: Couldn't hurt to trim it down a little where it's chewing up your rad hose.