stupid question i know

johnyreb

It has been brought to my attention by several ppl that i need to adjust my torsion bars #1 how do i adjust them I've never encountered them till i got my pathy #2 how do know that I've got them adjusted right just adjust till the front looks level with the rear? I've already done a search and it didn't turn up much useful info

No stupid questions, just inquisitive idiots. :lol: I say that as a chronic asker of stupid questions.

My understanding is that it's supposed to have a little rake (back slightly higher than the front). There's a how-to for reindexing them, but you may be able to get away with just messing with the adjuster bolts. I haven't done mine yet but I need to get around to them sooner or later... probably just before an alignment, since raising/lowering the front end will change your angles. The PO of mine tried to adjust them and didn't get them quite even. :tired:

And yeah, I haven't figured out the forum search engine. I just google "NPORA [whatever I'm looking for]" and it usually turns up.

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Like 2

I hate the raked look. Handling purposes me arse, its an suv.... plus i drove pathfinder's with a way sagged front end, level, and the front end higher(i eventually tweaked it back down) drove all the same to me..... lol :lol:

Reindexing them really isnt that hard.

There is a specific height that the front end is supposed to be set at per the factory service manual, the procedure for setting them to that height is in the FSM. The manual gives you a range that the measurement should be within.

That is according to Nissan, now if you want to adjust the front height because you think it sits a lot lower than the rear than that would be up to you ( or any owner), the "stock" height would be a starting point and than you can go higher if you felt it needed to be. At least if you measure the height based on what the FSM says and your front end is lower than what the manual says you would know it wasn't adjusted properly.

Go to the Garage section, there is a pinned thread where you can download a FSM for free. The first year is 1994, but that will apply to the important 90% (main difference is dash and trim).

I hate the raked look. Handling purposes me arse, its an suv.... plus i drove pathfinder's with a way sagged front end, level, and the front end higher(i eventually tweaked it back down) drove all the same to me..... lol :lol:

Reindexing them really isnt that hard.

You lower Hondas, your opinion doesn't count.

B

Word of caution if you are going to wheel it hard.

You are gonna want the adjusters to be recessed into the cross-member when you get them to their final adjusted position. Doing so prevents them from hanging down and getting hung up on obstacles. Not sure if that is mentioned in the 'how to' or not. Having been there and done that I thought it was worth mentioning

• 2 weeks later...

So my parents gave me their 1992 Pathfinder 4x4 (XE?) which has been sitting for over a year. It's got about 250K very gentle miles on it, and has run well and has been maintained well since it was new.

Had some squirrels nested under the hood for a while; they'd chewed out the hood liner and brought in some other nesting materials.

They chewed through some of the wiring, but not seriously. My goal is to solder a few things back together, patch some wires, and fire her up.

Here's my question:

One of the blue plugs that was chewed off (4 wires - orangeblack; white/black; green/black; green/black) seems to go nowhere. My guess is that since this is the base model (XE?), the wiring harness is the same as the higher models, and had an extra plug there for whatever upgraded electrical component would be there on the higher model.

Anyone know if the harness is common to all the model levels? That would explain why the plug has no apparent receptacle.

Welcome!<br />A picture would be extremely helpful. Or a general location of the plug. You can download the factory service manual in the garage section, that might help you as well.<br />Starting your own thread in the garage might be a good idea as well. Or alert a moderator and maybe they can move your question there.

Edited by Trogdor636